Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket timing question???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a 12lb brisket tonight that needs to be off by 9:00 in the morning. I had the butcher seperate the flat and the heel. I was planing on putting it on around 7:00 tonight. We were going out to eat and I figured we would be back by 6:30, but those plans changed and it will now be around 8:00 before we get back. Should I put it on before I leave or wait til I get back and crank the heat up a little? Can the egg be left at home alone at the start of a cook. I'm afraid the temp will need adjustment, any thoughts?
Thanks
DB

Comments

• dbishop, My last 2 7-8 pound flats took 16 hours to reach 200 internal at 240 dome temp. If yours timed out the same way, it should go on at 5pm. They rarely time out the same though! Have fun, Scott

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    dbishop,[p]Considering the 1.5-2 hours per # formula:[p]12 lb 2 x =24 hours, so I would put it on 9am the day before![p]In any event, get your egg temperature to 225-250ish (your dome temp will ready approximately 30° higher), place with fat site up. Keep an eye on both pieces till they get around 190°.[p]When it's complete (even before 9, if so), double wrap in foild and place into a cooler, wrapped around a beach towel. You should be able to keep it in the cooler for up to 3 hours till you are ready to present to everyone for cutting![p]Just so long as you have enough GOOD lump fuel and you get the temperature maintained, you should be able to leave the egg unattended.[p]-Jeeves
  • Jeeves,
    The whole brisket was 12 lbs but when seperated I think the flat is around 5lbs and the heel is about 7lbs so I'm figuring the time for the 7 lb heel???

• Scotty's Inferno,
    It's going on at 4:00 and I'm hoping for the best
    Thanks
    DB

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    dbishop,[p]yes, actually I would base the 'check time' on both sizes as the smaller one may be done first..[p]if the internal temp of the 5# is reached, pull it and let the 7# go until it reaches target internal temp.[p]again, put them both foiled wrapped in a beach towel in a cooler...