Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil Help

Options
Rayddd
Rayddd Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I have seen recipes on cooking London Broils on an Egg but I can't find one tonight. I bought one today and would like to cook it tomorrow for Saturday night or Sunday night. Please let me know your preferred method. Thanks- Ray

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Rayddd,[p]The London broil cut of meat is a top round slice. The meat has little internal fat, tends to want to be tough, and likes a fast, hot cook. The problem is that the proper cook requires a nice doneness with a partcular tenderness to the chew.[p]Steak searing methods will obtain the tasty sear to the meat, but then using a dwell after the sear will often overcook the meal, removing the nice tenderness.[p]I am a big fan of a cooking method that JJ suggested to me for this cook. I am offering my use of the method. Sear at 700-800°F, 2 minutes per side, and remove (closing your Egg vents down to reduce cooking temp - but not shutting them). Slice the seared meat into 1/4" strips, cutting across the grain, removing them to a cast iron pan. Cutting them allows you to see the cook and taste the doneness. Move the pan into the Egg for the fast finish. You are just adjusting the "redness" at the point. Remove from the Egg and use the generous juices for a nice sauce.[p]A nice marinade is an overnight soak in beer. Beer has a mildly low acidity and adds a tenderness and virtually no hint of flavor to the finished meal. Use a quality beer like a good clean German pilsner, a nice flavored ale, or for more of a finished meal taste, a porter or stout. American beers do little for food.[p]Spin
  • Rayddd
    Rayddd Posts: 11
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks so much for your reply- meat is marinading in beer overnight-
    I will follow your advice and let you know how it turned out-[p]Ray

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Spin,[p]I recently tried this method after seeing you post about it. I definitely love the traditional london broil sear sear dwell, but this way makes it really easy to cook to the exact desired doneness. Also, you get the extra benefit of a pan sauce...and that's a benefit which is not to be dismissed...[p]Later,
    Cornfed