Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the egg

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready for a big weekend of Egging (Salmon tonight and 6# Prime Rib Roast tomorrow)and I removed my fire ring and fire bowl to see what residue there was after a couple of months of cooking. The only place I found much ash was where it accumulates under the fire bowl and the ash remover tool does not reach. Is it really necessary to take it all apart for cleaning and if so, how often?
Mike

Comments

• EggspertMN
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    If I take my large apart, I only do it about once a year....maybe. My firebox is cracked, so I don't want to disturb it a lot. I do take out the grate in the bottom to do a really good cleaning, but I find that if I just scrape out the ashes with the Ash tool, I'm fine. When I see ash in the holes in back of the firebox, I know it is time to take it apart. [p]I have a new firebox, but I'm gonna keep using this one as long as it is still working. See Naked Wiz pages about firebox.

• EagerEgger,[p]I'm a relatively new Egghead -- and don't know the answers to your questions. Judging by the looks of other peoples' Eggs [I'm always looking for pictures on the forum], I clean my Egg more frequently than most.[p]When I notice a "gunk" buildup, I finish a cook with a high burn, to clean things out. The next day, I take the plate setter, fire ring and fire bowl out and scrape off any crusty stuff. That's it -- scrape only... don't "wash." I use crinkled Al-foil on the interior, and vacuum out all the residue.[p]Then, I reassemble.[p]For absolute Noobs -- Remember, I "over clean" my Egg and grills. However, NEVER use water, soap, etc., on the inside of your Egg. The ceramic is porous and will pick up soap residue, etc.[p]The heat of a high burn will act like an indoor self-cleaning oven.[p]Now -- I have heard from some Eggers who cook almost daily that they just leave gunky residue inside the Egg -- they don't clean as I do... and they know a lot more about Eggin' than I ever will.[p]Dif'rent strokes... I guess I'm just a little fastidious... me and my OCDs...[p]Ciao to All![p]~ Broc[p]

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I have had my large 3 or 4 years and have never taken it apart. You can't see inside the Egg even in the daytime because the black insides absorb all the light! I have never had any trouble with any type of cook in spite of this. I think bust apart deep cleaning is over rated!! LOL

• EggspertMN,[p]I have a small shop vac I use, just for the Egg. With spinal injuries, I don't want to be fishing our residue with the ash tool any more than necessary.[p]That vac sure does clean out stuff the ash tool would never get![p]~ B

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    When the dome looks flakey I scrap/brush it off. I normally hit the grid with a Billy Bar when I cook. Ever so often I let the lump burn off at high temps to "clean" the Egg. I remove the firebox maybe once or twice a year at most. Last time I did the ash that falls through the back holes was almost up to the level of the holes in the side of the firebox :>)[p]H

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    rbeye1.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,
    Maybe once a year. And I cook a lot. I love the burn off. That is steak night.[p]Mike

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]I took mine apart last week for the heck of it - just to get a an idea of how often I would need to clean it.[p]While I was there, I used the 'crushed' alumnium ball' method to clean off the sides.[p]Next, I too everything close to property line in the back yard, closed the egg, put the daisy wheel on, close the vent down to about 1/2 inch, aimed it at the neighbor, then, wiith my air compressor, blew air into the top...[p]P.S. Make sure of the wind direction before doing this![p]:)
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    2 years and i have yet to clean the gunk.. just a hot burn and a gentle wire brush once or twice.. the real problem for me was saving the coals and stiring them.. i got a lot of ash thru the air holes in the fire box and i had trouble getting to the highter temps.. the small hose for my shop vac fits 180 degrees around the space between the fire box and the egg and i vacuum every two weeks as i cook every night on it. this and my new turbinator allow good and predictable temp control. and using the vac elimates taking the the fire ring and box out. time to take the cornish hens out of the brine and pour the wine.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Jeeves,
    and i thought i was the only grumpy ....... to do this.. the neighbors don't pick up their leaves and they blow onto my lawn.... and the wind was blowing in their direction last weekend the egg was FULL of ash. i used my leave blower. :<}

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    bill,
    Speaking of neighbors ... mine , the ones on my prop line where my egg commonly resides ... are VEGANS !! They won't even eat cheese but they have to live next to a fuming/smoking/pork/beef/fish/veal/etc. etc. constant aroma ... I'm surprised they haven't moved !

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Michael B
    Options
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,
    I LOVE VEGANS!
    Especially the ones who wear leather shoes or belts, carry leather wallets or handbags, ..., swat misquitoes, put bait out for carpenter ants, ..., etc. We always have soo much to talk about.[p]"A flea is a rat is a dog is a child."
    -- PETA