Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey in a small egg

Options
fourseasonegger
fourseasonegger Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a turkey in a small? What would be the largest you could do? We'll be camping in the Finger Lakes region of New York at Thanksgiving and would like to do a turkey for a few families. Perhaps 10 adults. I may be dreaming in technicolour but would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have done this. [p]Thanks, Paul

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fourseasonegger,
    i haven't tried it, but i think you could get about a 10 pounder in a small egg using a beer can or vertical roaster. ...if you have gratemates or small plate setter, that would probably help .. . .[p]

• Little Steven
    Options
    fourseasonegger,[p] This is from the Canadian BGE site. I know it is accurate for the XL and Large[p]Steve

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.ca/products.htm[/ul]

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fourseasonegger, Hi We just got a small to go with our large just so we could take it camping! Did a 12.5 pounder last Saturday. Stuffed it with Mac apples, onions and garlic. Rub it with dizzy pig and it cooked in 3.5 hours. wrapped it and put it in a cooler till we were ready and it was PERFECT. I was sick with a cold and was doped on nyquill and in the camper sleeping and everyone wanted to keep checking it to make sure it was not burning. I told them that unless it went below 325 or over 350 do not touch that lid or bother me. they were all sure it was going to be a burnt mess :) (INLAWS so they were hoping.) nothing but bones left and they were pretty clean.

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    12.5 no problem. I put it on last Saturday and it was done in 3.5 hours. moist and to dye for! Julie

• fourseasonegger
    Options
    Juliem4444,[p]Thanks for your response Julie. Did you do it direct or indirect? What was your setup? I have grill mates and a pizza stone for the small that I could use for indirect. Thanks again..Paul
  • fourseasonegger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]thanks Max. I hadn't thought of a vertical roaster. I actually have one that I have never used. Won one as a door prize a couple of years ago in Waldorf. I'll have to dig it out of the basement. [p]Thanks again for everyone's help. It's been a long time since lurking around on this forum, let alone post! It continues to rock!!! Without this place there is no way I would so much pleasure out of my two eggs. [p]You guys(and Gals) are the best.. Thanks again. Paul