Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oktoberfest anyone? How do I cook wursts?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first beef brisket this weekend and I realized that Saturday is the start of Oktoberfest in Munich. To celebrate locally (Long Island) I've decided to also make some wursts (bratwurst and weisswurst). I can't think of a better way to spend Sunday than watching football, drinking some good German beer and enjoying some wursts and brisket. [p]Does anybody have any can't miss recipes for wursts? Thanks to ~thirdeye~ I already have my brisket recipe.[p]Thanks.[p]New to Que

Comments

• New to Que, This is non-traditional, but I simply smoke brats with apple. I set the egg up indirect @300-350 and let it go til the brat is about 170 internal. One medium chunk is plenty. Have fun, Scott

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    New to Que, I cook mine at about 350 as well but I never test the internal temp. I want them to have a good brown outside but I think it is important to not puncture the casing so that the moisture is kept inside. Be sure to warn folks however that the first bite might produce a bit of squirting.[p]If you want, you can also put on a pot of beer and onions on the egg. Grill the brats as usual but then remove them to the beer and onions (after you pierce them in several places) for a few minutes before serving. It also makes a great way to hold the brats hot after you take them off the grill.

• Wise One,[p]
    Ah...The infamous 'Brat bath' is the way to go. Adds flavor and keeps them moist.[p]Happy Egg'n,
    Egg-N-Tino

• Wise One,
    man, i always give my brats, hotdogs, even italian sausage a nice soak in beer as part of the process. ...i usually start them in beer, then move em to the grill, then back to the beer before serving ... [p]YUMMY!!![p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Even though I prefer the grill first (15 minutes at 350) then dip, here's a dip first, then grill recipe:[p]Old-Fashioned Brats In Beer
    Ingredients:
    1 can beer -- (12 oz.)
    1 tsp caraway seed
    4 bratwurst
    1 can sauerkraut -- drained (8 oz.)
    1/4 cup bell pepper -- chopped
    4 Pepperidge Farm Hoagie Rolls

Directions:
    1 In medium saucepan or skillet, combine beer and caraway seed.
    2 Prick bratwurst with fork several times; add to beer mixture.
    3 Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until bratwurst are no longer pink.
    4 Remove bratwurst from beer mixture.
    5 Add drained sauerkraut and bell pepper to beer mixture; heat until hot.
    6 When ready to cook on BGE, prepare BGE accordingly.
    7 Place bratwurst on BGE, cook at 350°, turning often until browned. Cook 4 to 6 minutes.
    8 Place buns, cut side down, on Egg. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until buns are lightly toasted. Place bratwurst in buns.
    9 Using slotted spoon, spoon sauerkraut on top of bratwurst.
    10 Enjoy.
    11 NOTES : For a richer beer flavor, use a heartier dark ale or stout.

Source: Recipe By : Grilling, Picnics & Camping Cookbook by Pillsbury

[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Mine soak in beer after eating.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    BeerSausage06.jpg
    <p />New to Que,[p]The pic above shows a section of polish sausage, but a brat is close. I sliced the onion, and sauteéd it in a dutch oven on the egg. Once the onion was soft, I added a honey brown beer, and the sausage sections. Then let them simmer till the sausage puffed up. Removed the sausage, and then put them back on the grill direct. The sugar in the beer caused them to get really nice and crispy. I strained the onions out, and served with the sausage.[p]I believe that weisswurst is always simmered, not grilled, and done so that the meat just barely cooks.[p]gdenby

• EmandMs'Dad,
    LOL. ..why am i not surprised!!?!?! ..btw . .that good sausage maker (cannellis (SP)) is also back in business at eastern market . .. they make some great sausage there .. .

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    New to Que,[p]DSCN0017.jpg[p]yea like everyone else said.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 06augbristol-011.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    i think we need a visual on that

• BENTE,
    don't fruit the beer and
    don't beer the egg... man law

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    LOL, what's that red button i see there??!?! dat any no square egg!!! . . . great visual but better when the pan is in the egg soaking up a little egg magic as well!! ...

hahahaha
    i didn't have the egg yet.
    but how do you know i didn't use an egg and then simmer on the gasser to keep them warm?

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Now that is funny 'gasser alert!'[p]I have a question for you, I'll put in a new post.[p]Nice looking eats though. I am sure it would taste great if it were eggerized.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]LOL ...you're right, i don't know. . ..so you shouldn't have admitted to it! . . .btw. ..i got your email, i've just been too swamped to respond, but i will ...
    ok max... i cannot tell a lie... plus you could have figured it out anyway from the date on the pic and the date in my profile.[p]i just put 6 slabs of baby backs on the large egg...
    (there, that makes up for the gasser pic*)

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Next time, try poaching the Italians in a little "screw-top red"...[p]Ken

• To All,[p]This website is amazing. I went into a meeting at work and just returned to an astounding number of responses. I am reading through them now. Thank you all.[p]New to Que
  • New to Que,[p]Is it true that when the German get up in the morning, they're just going from Bett to Wurst?[p]
  • New to Que,
    Before I tell you what I do too my brats where on Long Island do you live? I am located in Suffolk county Ronkonkoma approximately 30 miles east of Mad Max's daughter Spawn who goes to Hofstra. Give me a shout as I would love to meet another egger that lives in an area that has no idea what good BBQ is.
    I do my brats as per Dr. BBQ's recipe. I brown my brats on the egg. While they are browning I heat a pan with a stick of butter. Once the butter melts I put in a bunch of onions and a little Dizzy Pig cowlick. Once the onions get soft I put in a bottle of beer and get that mixture boiling. The browned brats then go into the mixture and get covered with foil for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the foil comes off and you keep cooking them until all the liquid is gone. Then the good stuff comes the brats with the left over stuff in the pan goes onto a potato roll topped with a goos mustard. This is not for the South Beach or other low cholesterol diets. Enjoy!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired Railroader, I am also in Suffolk County. I'm about 20 minutes from you in Deer Park.