Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken

Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to smoke a Turducken for about 15 people and was wondering if anyone had some good recipes. I am all ears chefs.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Jeff, the easiest way is to go to the Paul Prudhomme store on-line and order one. If you want to try, check your eMail I sent you the instructions.

• Jeff,
    Well, I've done a couple Turducken's in my time, and as far as recipe's are concerned, I buy em from someone. There are several butchers in Lousiana that sell em, and come with a variety of stuffings. just google 'where to buy turducken' and you'll find quite a few sources. They come frozen and cooking instructions are included. In fact, I saw on Food network last nite that Tony Cacheres is also selling them.[p]OK, now as far as smoking at low temps is concerned, I wouldn't try it. the thing is SOLID through with meat and dressing. When I have one these, I pretty much stick to 350 degrees and I throw on a hunk or two of cherry wood or apple wood. I think that trying to cook at the low temps with smoke would take too long and allow the bacterias to grow. So, higher temps is good, and throw on some wood.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    or maybe Paul only sells them seasonally. But he does have a pretty good page on how to do it.

[ul][li]Chef Paul's Turducken[/ul]
  • Jeff,[p]If you are in the Atlanta area, you can get good turduckens (fresh or frozen) at the Cajun Meat Company up in Marietta.[p]I beleive they also will ship frozen ones.[p]I've never attempted to go thru the effort of de-boning and stuffing one myself.
    [ul][li]http://www.cajunmeatcompany.com[/ul]
  • EggspertMN,
    Here is where I have purchased Turduckens before. Call em, and they'll ship;[p]Peperone's Sausage and Meats, 2431 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey, LA. (504) 366-6945

• EggspertMN,
    or try here

[ul][li]where to buy turducken[/ul]
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Jeff,[p]I have an Hebert's here in Houston and want to try one of their stuffed birds soon. I'd love to hear more ideas on how to cook. As EggspertMN said, low and slow may not work well. I'll ask the people at the store as I'm sure others have asked the same question being that we're in one of the smoking capitols.[p]Win
  • Jeff,
    I prepared and cooked a Turducken recently for a party for my wifes fiftieth birthday party. We had about fifty people, and also cooked whole salmon fillets, stuffed chicken thighs, and a full beef sirloin which my butcher hung for 6 weeks for me. I cooked the whole thing on 2 large eggs, and was happy with everything.
    If you are brave enough to go down the road of preparing your own shoot me a mail and I will give you the run down.
    This was my third attemp at Turducken and the first one I was pleased with.
    Good luck,
    Roger

• amini1,[p]Hebert's is the one I use. I've bought at least six from him over the years. They're quite tasty. [p]Bill