Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice for first attempt at ribs?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple questions - I'm making my first attempt at ribs tomorrow -
1) is there a best cut of (pork) ribs for an egg?
2) I can spend up to 8 hours with them on the grill so there isn't
a major time constraint. Given that is there a best fall off the
bone recipe especially for times and temperatures of the grill?[p]thanks,[p]gettingeggcited

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    gettingeggcited,[p]Sorry, but there is no straight answer to either question, you have to figure out what is best for you. Everyone has a personal preference as to the degree of tenderness of a rib. Everything from a slight "tug" to a rib that is so tender it almost helps itself off of the bone. Baby back (loin back) ribs are a good rib to start with because they are almost always pre-trimmed and cook up nice and tender. Belly ribs (spare ribs), come in full slabs or may be trimmed down and then called St. Louis style. The fun part is trying several different methods, combinations of seasonings and levels of tenderness until you hit the jackpot.[p]Here is a link to my cookin' site. Scroll down to the PORK section and you will find an article written by Car Wash Mike on baby back ribs. I have an article on spare ribs in the same section. [p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]PWF&S[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gettingeggcited, I am a newer egg user and a couple of weeks ago did some spare ribs which I considered marginal at best. So last weekend I did a recipe for baby back ribs from The Wise Ones cookbook pages 44, 45, and 46. They were wonderful! For your first cook this might be a good approach. Follow the directions to a T and you will have tender ribs for dinner. The rub recommended in this recipe is right on for ribs. The only change I would make is to back off the cayenne pepper a bit.
    [ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf[/ul]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    gettingeggcited,[p]In terms of good eating, either spares or baby backs are just about equal when done well. In my experience, it is slightly easier to get good results from baby backs.[p]Not too long ago, I showed my son-in-law to-be, who has never really BBQ'ed, how to do St. Louis style rib with the 3-1-1 method. You can find many references to this method through the forum archives, and at several member's web pages.[p]Peel membrane from back of ribs. Paint ribs with plain yellow mustard. This doesn't add much notable flavor, just holds on the rub. Sprinkle both sides of the ribs with a preferred rub, using twice as much on the meat side. Let sit if 'fridge for about 2 hours.[p]Fill Egg to at least top of the fire box. Mix some hickory or oak or other wood chips throughout the lump. Start Egg, and creep up on 250 dome. I usually do a minimal indirect cook by placing just enough aluminum foil on the lower grate to sheild the meat from the coals' radiation, and catch drips. Once the temperature is stable, and the thick white smoke has turned to wispier bluish, place ribs bone side down on the elevated grill. The dome temperature should come back to 250 in about 15 minutes, depending on the mass of the ribs.[p]Let them cook for 3 hours, maybe 2.5 for baby backs. At that point, the meat should have drawn back from the bone ends about 1/4 inch. If they have, its time for the second stage. Make a pouch for each slab of ribs (or use a foil pan) out of double thick heavy duty foil. Place the ribs meat side down on the foil, and pour some sweet fluid, like apple juice, around the ribs till the meat side is in about 1/4". Seal pouch, and place back on grill meat side down.[p]After 1 hour, remove ribs from pouch. They should be verrry tender. Remove foil from grate, and finish the ribs over a direct fire. Check after 1/2 hour. They may be almost bending in half if lifted in the middle. If so, baste with sauce and continue for another 15 minutes. Otherwise, baste at 45 minutes. If you prefer "dry" ribs, omit sauce. A last light sprinkle of rub at that time instead can give a little better crust.[p]Using the above formula, my future son in law brought ribs to the table that could be torn apart with fingers. Total time was just under 5 hours. Baby backs would be somewhat less.[p]have fun, and may a steady fire be yours,
    gdenby

• Thanks for all the good avice!