Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking tips

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE owner and am going to tackle a Boston Butt this weekend. Any tips on amounts of charcoal to use, etc? If I start cooking it overnight, can I reliably go to bed and expect it to maintain 225 degrees for 6 hrs without checking? Any other tips appreciated.

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Georgia Dawg,[p]The Naked Whiz hosts Elder Ward's excellent article on firebuilding and pulled pork.[p]This link should answer any questions you have.[p]
    [ul][li]Elder Ward's Firebuilding advice[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Georgia Dawg,
    Fill it with lump and as long as you have it truly stabilized at a temp, you should be fine. Most folks run the temp a little higher, say 250F dome which puts your grid temp at roughly 225F. Do you already know how to prep it? If you need any help, just ask, that's the great thing about this forum, evryone helps each other!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Georgia Dawg,
    You can see detailed pics and descriptions in the cooks section of my website.....If you can do a sucessful overnight cook without having to make adjustments for your very first cook, I will be amazed...In due time you will have no problwms doing unattended overnighters, but there are some things you just need to get the hang of first...Good luck, and ket us kknow the outcome..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    WessB,[p]Your link is misspelled, Wess.
    [ul][li]www.wessb.com[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big T,
    Thank you for correcting me...kinda crazy over here this am, aint got a lot of time to check before hitting that post button..LOL[p]Wess

• Big T,
    on my briskett. Ran for 4 hours at 240 as I went to bed and got up 7 hours later and at some point it rose to almost 300. THANK GOD the briskett was ok. OK it was more than OK, was fantastic LOL Had a 14 pounder that went for 12 hours with the temp increase. I injected it with a mix of Creole butter injector and beef broth and man was it fine. Course I'm still waiting on wifey to download pics from my last 3 cookings hehehe

• Thanks for the advice and the links. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Georgia Dawg, I did a 16.5 lb brisket last weekend, 19 hrs at 240 dome. And still had some leftover for the next chicken breast cook. Believe me, 6 hrs overnight will be no problem if you fill er up to the crack between the firebox and the fire ring, or even a little above that.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

• Wanted to let you know the first overnight cook went great. Actually went to bed with the dome temp at 250 and when I got up it was still at 250. Butt turned out great and my Dawgs won in OT. Doesn't get much better than that!Thanks for the tips.[p]GDawg