Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brussel Sprouts recipe

jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good brussel sprout recipe. I usually sautee the frozen product on the Egg after thawing. But I have seen the fresh ones in stores and would like to know how to prepare them on the Egg.[p]Thanks

Comments

• jake42,
    Dhufferjr made some at the Omaha fest. Might want to ping him.

• jake42,
    I make them often, for fresh, cut 1/4" or so off the bottom, peel off the loose leafs. Cut an X from the top down about 1/2 way thru the sprout. Steam them for about 10 min until mostly tender. Put them on the BGE about 350 deg on the grate direct, cook for about 5 min turning as necessary.
    Drizzle with either teriaki sauce, buter, lemon what ever you like. Teriaki is my favorite.

• jake42, One of my favorite veggies and here's my method: Clean the sprouts under cold, running water and remove a few of the outer leaves. Trim the stems and unless the sprouts are extremely small cut them in half. Peel as many garlic cloves as you like (I usually use a whole head). Toss the sprouts & garlic in a bowl with some of Paula Dean's "House Seasoning" (1 c. salt, 1/4 c. black pepper, 1/4 c. garlic powder). I use kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper. Drizzle it all with some olive oil as though you were dressing a salad. Heat the oven to 475 and set the rack in the top position. Just before you are ready to cook, add some panko bread crumbs, toss and spread it all on a foil- lined, shallow pan. Bake (and if necessary broil at the end) until the sprouts are done and everything starts to take on a golden brown color. If there are any left I munch on them from the fridge like candy. I usually do a pound of sprouts for myself but you might consider doubling the recipe. Enjoy![p]Rascal

• Rascal,
    I do a similar recipe... but also throw in some peeled & cooked chestnuts in the fall (or reconstituted dry ones in the off season)... YUM!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Hiya Jake,
    I hear I met you in Omaha, man I'm having a hard time putting names to those faces.[p]What I do is peel off the funky outer leaves as mentioned. Trim off the stem and cut them in half. I like to coat them with a tablespoon or two of canola oil and then toss in some Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree rub. That rub is absolutely fantastic on them IMHO. The sugar in the rub kinda burns/carmelizes on the sprouts and if you cook them till just starting to get tender they have a real nutty flavor I think. I'll never eat sprouts from a box in the freezer section again.[p]I like to get the pan really hot and then dump in the sprouts. Cook them a few minutes and then cover for a few to steam em up. I then uncover them and cook another minute or two.[p]I really recomend a nonstick pan if inside or an enameled cast iron pan. I've got a shallow braising pan I bought from walmart. Search them online it is tramaneta (spelling probably wrong) cast iron pan and you'll find them. Great stuff. I had both the braising pan and pot at Omaha if you saw them.[p]Here is a picture from a cook inside. Cleaning the burnt spots from the sugar off the stainless steel pan is a real job. Get an enameled cast iron pan and clean up is a pinch.[p]
    Sproutsyummmmmmm.jpg

• jake42
    dhuffjr,Thanks
    So you did not boil them first?
    fest07.jpg[p]I have a hard time with names and faces too.[p]Thanks

• dhuffjr
    jake42,
    NOOOOOOOOO[p]boiling sprouts is like parboiling ribs :>)[p]H

• jake42
    dhuffjr,
    Thanks again!!!!

• dhuffjr
    jake42,
    You guys coming to Eggtoberfest?[p]H

• jake42,
    PUT YOUR FRESH / FROZEN SPROUTS IN AN ALUMINUM FOIL PACKET
    ADD -
    BUTTER
    SALT / PEPPER
    SLICED ONIONS
    MINCED GARLIC
    BASIL[p]UNFORTUNATELY I COOK TO TASTE SO I DON'T HAVE ANY MEASUREMENTS USE YOUR JUDGEMENT[p]SECURE YOUR PACKET WELL, MAKE SURE THE SEAL IS TO THE TOP OR THE BUTTER LEAKS OUT.[p]SOMETIMES I WILL STAB THE PACKET TOWARDS THE END TO RELEASE THE STEAM AND ALLOW THE SPROUTS & ONIONS TO CARMELIZE A BIT.[p]GRILL UNTIL DONE[p]IF YOU WANT WHEN YOU DISH THEM UP TOSS THEM WITH FRESH GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE FOR A BIT OF A TWIST.[p]BON APPETIT

• Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    jake42,[p]Brussell sprouts are my daughter's favorite vegetable. My oldest (13) gets two whole stalks from my brother's garden (via FedEx) every November 4 as her birthday gift.[p]Our favorite and only way to cook them is to remove the outer leaves and slice length wise 3-4 times to make thin slices. Drizzle them with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Roast in the Egg at 450 until they get browned (or even black) on the edges. My girls fight over the crispy parts.[p]BGE036.jpg

• Roudy,[p]With the same technique, try quartered spouts with pancetta .
  • jake42,
    after trimming off the outside leaves I slice the sprouts finely.
    I stir fry some onion and garlic in a wok in a high heat oil. I then add some strips of bacon or panchetta, and toss in the sprouts. Stir fry for 2/3 minutes, depending on the heat of the wok, and finish with a splash of sweet chilli sauce.
    Put out onto serving dish, and sprinkle with sliced almonds.