Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey al la Mad Max

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
turkey.jpg
<p />Last weekends cook and picture testing...[p]from the image url...[p]and a second test..
turkey.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub,
    looks great. ..how was it?

• Grandpas Grub,
    Great job on the bird & the pictures! Why do I always get hungry when I read this forum?

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I am not sure of the taste of that 21# beauty. [p]We didn't want to ruin it by cutting it, so we decided to moount it next to the moose mead in the trophy room.[p]Actually the taste was better than the looks. This was the first time we have made gravy without a 'packet' of gravey mix.[p]I got in real trouble whe prepairing the bird. I told my wife I needed a ziplock bag so I can ice her breasts. I got hit in the side of the head with the turkey pan. [p]I quickly explained her being the turkey. I then had to explain what the heck I was trying to do.[p]Anyway, I left the egg for a little while and when I got back and checked her brests (the turkey) the internal temp was 172°.[p]The brests were just a tid bit dry for my liking. The gravy over the mead and potatoes saved the day.[p]Fantastic grilled turkey sandwhichs for leftovers.[p]We are going to cook another this weekend or next. Mad Max Turkey is going to be Thanksgiving Dinner this year.[p]Thanks my friend, I appreciate your sharing this wonderful method.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub,
    Great looking Turkey!!![p]Have you ever tried injecting your turkey? This might help prevent the dry breast meat you describe. I have used Cajun Injector Creole Butter quite successfully in the past and we love the taste. I have also used it for frying a turkey. Roasting on the egg works quite well.[p]M

• EggspertMN,[p]I am pretty sure the dryness was do to the pull temp/rest temp. I let it cook too long. I think if I pull at 160° or 165° the brests will be plenty moist.[p]I do want to try some liquid injection for more flavor but I am not sure what to inject with - I will need to do some reading.[p]My kids want me to inject some garlic. I think they have been watching too many infomercials for Ronco. I like some garlic but I am not sure if I would want to bite into a whole clove at one time.[p]Thanks, Kent
  • Grandpas Grub,
    The good thing here is that you are learning as you go. I always assess stuff I cook to see what I can do better next time. You may be right that the temp ws too high (I probably would have pulled it in the 160-165 range) However, some things that can save this turkey would be something like injection.[p]There are lots of injection recipes out there. I've used a lot, but I haven't found anything I like better than Creole Butter. http://www.cajuninjector.com/ There are lots of flavours here, and some recipes you may like to try. [p]So, I'm thinkin that an injection will give you a cushion if perhaps the temp ran up a little much, like to 170. Things will still be moist and juicy.[p]BTW, there are lots of injections you can make yourself, Foodnetwork recipe search wil find a lot, Steve Rachlen's boks has em in there, The Weber cookbook... [p]Here's another idea. Brine your Turkey. This will also give a lot of flavour, AND kep it moist. I've done this too. Pretty easy too. 2 gallons of water, sugar, salt, and some spices in there. keep it cold for about 24 hours, rince it off, and cook it just like normal. [p]Give these a try and let me know what you think. You might be pretty sick of turkey by Thanksgiving, but you'll discover what you like :-)[p]and don't forget to have fun![p]Mark