Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to the chicken??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I had decided to go ahead and do whole chickens with the beer cans, and then when I talked to my day this morning he told me he went ahead an bought the meat for the weekend and he had bought breasts,wings,thighs all with bone in and skin on. So, now I need recomendations on how I should prepare. Brine? Platesetter? Direct? Temp? I would like to get a little crispy/crust like (not rubbery like rot. chicken) and do some with just the rub and sauce some of them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Dr. Walrod,
    I always like to brine, but unless you have the time to set chicks in fridge for a while after brine, to have skin dry, I don't think you'll get crispy skin, IMO. When I make a outside rub for chicken, I usually add a little cornstarch into the rub as it helps to absorb the moisture and allows the skin to have a better chance of crisping. Dizzy pig has a recipe for crispy chicken skin on their site. I haven't tried it yet, but I"ve read good reviews on this forum. HTH. keep us posted!

• Big'un,[p]After reading about the cornstarch to get a crisp skin, I gave it a try on one piece. [p]We just sprinkled it very lightly on the skin of one thigh and it seemed to work. We haven't done any more testing since that first try.[p]If you are thinking of trying this I would suggest you run some tests to make sure it is what you are looking for... let us know if you do this.[p]Kent
  • Big'un
    Grandpas Grub,
    I just mix a small amount into the rub and had good results. There is no notable taste difference, maybe the rub overtakes any flavor change. I don't add the cornstarch to the rub that I put on the inside of the skin/meat. But I think that by pulling away the skin from the meat while applying the interior rub, it also causes it to help crisp too! Grandpas Grub, you're right!, it's always best to test anything beforehand, that you plan to serve to a large crowd.

DSCI0010-2.jpg

• Big'un,
    So if I go this route, should I do them indirect or direct and at what target temp? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Big'un,[p]That looks great![p]Do you actually use two different rubs when prepairing the chicken? Seems like a lot of work.[p]Kent
  • Dr. Walrod,
    Go direct on a raised grid. Trim the excess fat off the pieces ahead of time, that will help keep the smoke down.[p]I highly recommend the DP recipe for chicken parts.[p] I made a mistake onetime when I made a double batch. Don't know if it was because I was using sea salt or if it was that one of the rubs was already salty, but it came out way too salty that time. Follow directions and you'll be fine!

[ul][li]Almost Fried wings[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Grandpas Grub,
    Take the original rub, and rub it inside; take some of the same rub and add some corn starch and then rub the outside. Not much trouble at all. I make all of my own rubs anyway.

• Big'un
    Dr. Walrod,
    I'd definately go direct. Just watch for too much open lid time, so that the fire doesn't flare up. I'd also use a raised grid if you have one. Cook in the neighborhood of 350F. Keep in mind that some folks have reported a more hot area towards the back of the egg. You can use that knowlege to place your seperate pieces on the grate. HTH. You are gonna have a lot of happy people at your table!

• Big'un,[p]Thank you for the info. I never have seasoned under the skin, I will give it a try.[p]I have one seasoning style my dad taught me, not exactly a rub.[p]We just take the seasonings and put them on one at a time so it is never really consistant.[p]I guess I should start measuring things out to get a consistant taste.[p]I read some of the rubs and there are 20 different seasoings in them. It seems easier to grab a bottle of something when at the store.[p]Kent