Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time brisket smoker

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need a little help on a rub, a baste, and technique. I have seen some many different ways of doing it, I was wondering if there is a beginner's recipe, something with some training wheels.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Displaced Jayhawk,[p]I recently added a brisket page to the rest of my recipes. If nothing else, it may sprout a few questions for you to ask about. Or give you something to poke fun at. [p]Seriously, there are a lot of Briskateers that hang out here. You should get some very sage advice.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Brisket[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EddieMac
    Options
    For your first brisket, I STRONLY recommend that you use the KISS principle...Keep It Simple Sam!!...Get a WHOLE brisket from your local meat vendor of choice...Not a flat...but a WHOLE brisket....Cover it with a very thin layer of yellow mustard or olive oil...and sprinkle generously with salt & pepper or basic bottled dry rub.....[p]Put a bunch of lump in the box...light in the middle...put the platesetter and drip pan in place...and run dome temps at 250 - 275....Toss that brisket on...fat side down to protect the meat....and pull it off when the internal meat temp reaches 195 degrees or so.....This ain't rocket science....[p]Keep It Simple....And you'll be fine...Don't go exotic...just go basic on your first time out...[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• thirdeye,[p]I discovered your website yesterday. Very informative, thank you for sharing all of your secrets you learned over the years. I am trying my first brisket this weekend as well. Quick question(s): what is the rule of thumb for cooking time? I've read 2 hours per pound. Is that a good estimate? Also, what should the dome temperature be during the cook? Thanks.[p]New to Que
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    New to Que,[p]For your bigger flats and whole briskets barbecued in a ceramic cooker, 1.5 to 2 hours per pound is the rule of thumb that most agree on. Most folks use a constant pit temp throughout the cook and I would bet if you asked 10 good cooks what temp they cook at, the average would be 230° (grate) which is 250° or 260° dome temp. I have had some excellent briskets cooked this way. [p]You probably noticed that my cook temps vary throughout the cook. Then I do a foiled rest in a cooler which is longer than most, a minimum of 4 hours. Part of that 4 hours is cooking time in my book. If I pull a brisket at 190° internal the temp will rise at least 10° during the first hour or two in the cooler then slowly creep down. (If I cooked it until 200° internal and then rested that long, it would be cooked too tender for slicing). My brisket may come off the pit earlier but counting the longer time I require in the cooler, the 1.5 to 2 hours per pound applies to my method of cooking too.[p]
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the clarification. That all makes sense to me. I ordered my whole brisket from my local butcher up here on Long Island, not sure what it will weigh, he estimates 10+ pounds which sounds like a 15-20 hour marathon cook. Think I'll light the fire around 7 pm Saturday night and hope to be eating during somewhere between the 2nd half of the early NFL games and the 1st half of the later games. I am excited to take on what sounds like a much more challenging cook than the pork butts and baby back ribs that I've done a few times before.[p]Thanks again ~thirdeye~ and thanks for the "wiggle rod" which I received a couple of weeks ago.[p]New to Que
  • thirdeye,[p]Appreciate the advice, great web-site and resource to have. Decided against the brisket when I couldn't find a whole brisket, just flats, butcher has to order them specially (need a new butcher). So I am smoking a pork butt, about 6 lbs at 275. Put it on at 9:30. First pork butt on the egg, should be exciting or a disaster. [p]Thanks again.