Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHARCOAL

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE TEMP. I LIGHT CHARCOAL WITH ELECTRIC STARTER,THEN OPEN ALL VENTS 100% DO I LET THE CHARCOAL GET 100% ORANGE, DO I CLOSE VENTS AND AWAIT THE COOKING TEMP. I AM LOOKING FOR HELP

Comments

• NOODIE,[p]I use an electric starter also. I open bottom and top vents and let the lump light for 5 to 7 minutes with the starter, then pull the starter, close the lid with the vents still all the way open until I get near the temp I want. At that point I close off the vents depending on how hot I'm cooking.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    NOODIE,
    fill it with lump up to the bottom of the fire ring at least. take the top (daisy) off. bottom open.[p]use whatever starter you want with the dome closed.[p]and please, stop typing in all capitals. it hurts.[p]though, between your use of all-caps and my shunning of same, we probably cancel out!
    welcome aboard.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    NOODIE,
    Vents wide open until you're getting close to your target, then partially close top and bottom vents to stabilize at your goal temp. It's a lot harder to cool it down, than it is to raise it up. Stay closeby, and don't let it get away from you.
    Mike

• NOODIE,
    It took me awhile to GET IT. You light the charcoal in any way that works for you. Wait until the smoke subsides. The smoke is from substances in fresh charcoal that need to burn off. By this time the charcoal should be well lit and established. Set up your egg for whatever (direct, indirect, etc.) Close the egg. Leave the daisy wheel off and the bottom draft wide open. Wait until the thermometer registers just a bit below where you want to be and then adjust the bottom draft. If the temp keeps rising just put the daisy wheel on top and carefully, and not quickly, play with the top and bottom drafts until things stabilize. This is where the art of the egg comes in. But this should head you in the right direction.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Dr. Jim,[p]You were doing fine until you said, "Leave the daisy wheel off and the bottom draft wide open. Wait until the thermometer registers just a bit below where you want to be and then adjust the bottom draft." [p]If you do that you are almost guaranteed to go well beyond your target temperature and it can take a while to get it back down. You'd do better by partially closing the vents and putting the daisy wheel on but mostly open, then gradually reducing the vents as you approach. Or other approach: I think its fishlessman who simply sets his vents where he knows he will eventually want them and then walks away.
  • Haggis, Thanks. I'll do just that.