Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corned beef

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE IN EGG LAND HAVE A SUGGESTION ON COOKING CORNED BEEF EITHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT THNAKS

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    NOODIE,[p]I cooked one the other day at PNW Eggfest. I put just a little bit of rub on it and cooked it indirect for about 3 hours then wrapped it tightly in foil and cooked it until it hit an internal temp of 200. Let it rest for 20 minutes and slice against the grain. It was really good.
    It was kind of salty though so you might want to soak it in fresh water for a couple hours before cooking and maybe skip the rub. I usually use just black pepper.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    NOODIE,[p]A lot of people use corned beef to make pastrami. Soak the corned beef from 12 to 48 hours to lessen the salt and cure. Then rub with appropriate spices. Cook above platesetter, dome 250ish, for about 1.5 hr. per pound.[p]The first one I did, I only soaked the corned beef for 12 hours, and the result was unpleasantly salty. I would suppose doing corned beef without soaking would always give such a result.[p](btw, CAPSLOCK is considered SHOUTING)[p]gdenby
  • THANKS I HAVE ALWAYS COOKED THEM IN WATER WITH CABBAGE JUST LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NEW
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    100_1570.jpg
    <p />NOODIE,
    soak it in cold water overnight in the fridge, 12 to 18 hours, then rub it with papricka, about 5 or 6 cloves garlic chopped finely, alot of black pepper and any other type of pepper you have on hand. avoid any type of salt or rub with salt. then low and slow to 175/180 and slice thin against the grain, a meat slcer is the way to go. go light with the smoke. pastrami. did some about a week ago for sandwiches, rubens

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    NOODIE,[p]Here is a link to a blow-by-blow on how Bobberqer and I make pastrami using store bought corned briskets. He even has some interesting finishing sauces in his recipe. Like everyone else said, a long soak out is a good idea.[p]The cure/brine used in corning the beef (saltiness and flavor) will vary from brand to brand, so when you find one you like, stick with it.[p][p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Pastrami[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]That is some great lookin' bread.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    thirdeye,
    the supermarket bakeries have gotten real competitive lately, great breads. this was a black forest pumpernickel rye. i ate half the loaf plain, no butter or anything.

fukahwee maine

• NOODIE,
    The link thirdeye gave you is great, I used it a number of times to make pastrami. Last cook I did was two nice size corned beef. Then I sliced them up on the slicer and vacum pack to the protions we need. I also use a lot of other recipes has has posted there. [p]Dolphine1.jpg
    Pork Butt Mike

• thirdeye
    2b8d1b70.jpg
    <p />Pork Butt Mike,[p]I like to defrost pieces about this size and take fishing or camping. I heat slices in a skillet, then brown bagels in the same pan. [p]Have you ever frozen large pieces and sliced later? I was wondering how they compare to slicing then freezing. I have never frozen it pre-sliced, it would be handy.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    thirdeye,
    ive presliced both ham and canadian bacon for the freezer and they come out fine. pastrami i would imagine would work well too. i like the pastrami steamed for the sandwiches either in a pan with a little water in the bottom or in a casserole dish with the sourkraut in the oven. this would be an option if the thin slices seemed dry after freezing. the older delis here used to dip the pastrami into hot baths of broth and then onto the sandwiches, havent seen that in a while as most now fry it

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]I remember you mentioning this same thing to me a while back and the last two or three times I've done pastrami I have taken one of the flats and foiled it at 150° with a little broth, and returned to the cooker. It braised in that juice until it was 175°ish. I started calling it "wet pastrami". It is rally good, like you said as a main meat with cabbage, potatoes, carrots etc.[p]I was in a bar that served roast beef and pastrami sandwiches only. They had this urn thing with spigots near the bottom. They drizzled broth onto the sandwiches, and gave you a cup for dipping. Man, that stuff was good.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~