Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you cover your egg?

Gibson's Finest
Gibson's Finest Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering how many people cover their egg(s) when not in use? Is a cover necessary in your opinion? What cover do you prefer to use - the BGE cover or one from another source?

Comments

• smoke express,
    My eggs are in a nest and they get pulled not pushed out from under the covered portion of the deck to the non-covered portion for cooks. I keep the Green Ceramic cap on during the non-use period and the vents closed. My Brothers medium egg lives on a deck with no covered area... so he uses the BGE cover over his egg.
    Hope this helps... I also like to store the Plate setter and Pizza stone in the egg with the Dual function metal top inside the egg when it is not used :=)
    ~Pharmeggist

• smoke express,
    I cover her, we are are in the heavy minuses, plus we are in the snow belt. in the winter with some freezing rain!
    In thesummer, I am weird about it (rain) getting in the thermomom.... so I cover her then too!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    smoke express,
    I don't. Nor do I think it is needed.

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    smoke express,[p]Mine's in an Egg Nest and is kept covered unless it's still too hot before I go to bed. I use the BGE cover.[p]Win
  • I remove Therm. and put Golf Tee in hole. It's not idle too long.
  • smoke express,
    I have a Large Egg. It's in a nest and I leave the side shelves up all the time. Under one of the shelves, I keep a 20 gallon garbage can, which holds a bucket of extra lump, my electric starter, extension cord, etc.. I cover my egg using the cover I used to use on my gas grill. I got it from Home Depot. I think it was 15 bucks and it fits perfectly. We get snow, ice, freezing rain, so I need to cover mine.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    smoke express,
    I cover mine, mostly because it is in a table and I want to protect the table a bit. I also had a cover when I was using a nest, I just liked the idea of keepin a but of grunge off the egg. It was a bit more of a hastle when it was in the nest, because I had to wait so long for the Egg to cool. With my table, I built a wooden frame that goes over the top of the Egg and holds the cover away from the surface of the Egg.[p]I do not think covering it is necessary.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    smoke express,
    I keep rain/snow off my egg with a cheap gray cover Weber markets for their kettle. No graphics plastered on it and it fits well, looks nice.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    smoke express,
    mine sit on the ground, no nest, no table, no cover. its not needed. they survive new england winters and the maine mud season.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smoke express,
    Most the time, my cover is laying on the grass/dirt/yard/flowerbeds as I am too busy working/cooking/eating/sleeping to bother with putting it on the egg after it cools down

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    smoke express,
    I'm a coverer! I was brought up to buy the best tools I could reasonably afford and then take care of them. I use BGE covers except in the winter I use a tarp for my combo large and small in my table.

• smoke express,
    I cover mine, but not for the BGE as much as I do it for the table I built.

• smoke express,
    mine's been totally exposed to the elements for the last seven years.... still looks exactly the same... no rust on the metal parts either....hope this helps... ray

• smoke express,
    I keep mine covered with the BGE cover. I bought it when I bought the egg.[p]I wait until the next day after a cook and cover it. I don't cover it if it's wet before the cover goes on, tho. Last night it started raining during my cook (first time for me cooking in the pouring rain) and so afterwards, I wasn't able to put it back on. It stood out there all night in the rain, poor Dimples.[p]Gwen

• I cover my BGE to keep it safe from the elements Ice/rain/snow/hail.

• smoke express,[p]Yup! Gotta keep it purty![p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Thanks for all of your answers. Now i have one more question - is the vented cover for the egg worth the extra money? I also have my egg in a table and want a cover to keep it all looking good. If the cook doesn't look good then the cooker should?!?

• I store mine in my second garage where it can keep the rest of my toys company.[p]

• smoke express,
    i have had my egg exposed to the elements for the last 7 years.... no ill effects... not even rust on the metal parts.... hope this helps.... ray

• smoke express,
    I used to use the BGE cover, it was a real pain to remove when wet or snowy. I stopped 2 years ago and the egg holds up just fine in all weather now.

• smoke express,
    I don't think it's worth spending the extra $ for the vented cover. Like I said, I use a 15$ cover from Home Depot and it works great. It seems like 1/2 the people don't cover at all.