Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atlanta Area Butchers

disabled-Smoke In The Nole
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be attending my first Eggtoberfest next month. I live in Tallahassee, FL, and so far I have not been able to find a local butcher that carries less common cuts of meat, dry aged meat, Kobe beef, etc.[p]I was hoping to hit a meat market or two on the way out of Atlanta to pick up something special to bring back for the wife and kids.[p]Can anyone recommend a good butcher / meat market in the area?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Smoke In The 'Nole, lot's of places. The locals will let you know about the speciality guys like the German and Polish butchers. Out I-85 there is a Whole Foods formerly Harry's off Reynolds Blvd should do the trick.

• Smoke In The 'Nole,[p]I live in Atlanta. I could be more helpful if you let me know where you are staying.[p]Here are a handful in the area. [p]The New York Butcher Shoppe (Very High Quality)
    3719 Old Alabama Rd, Alpharetta, GA 30022
    (770) 346-9003 www.nybutcher.net [p]Whole Foods Market
    Several locations[p]Patton's Meat Market (General Meats, Good Quality)
    http://www.pattonsmeatmarket.com[p][p]

• Nancy
    Nancy Posts: 24
    Smoke In The 'Nole,
    This place used to be pretty good, I haven't been there in a while, but's it's pretty close to the Mother ship so you might want to check them out. You could call ahead and make inquiries to see if they carry what you would need.

[ul][li]Wilkes Supermarket/Meat Market[/ul]
  • Nancy
    Nancy Posts: 24
    Smoke In The 'Nole,
    Here's where I go now because it's closer to where I live. Great quality meats!

[ul][li]Findley's in Acworth[/ul]
  • GlenC,[p]Thanks for the information. I will be staying at the hotel associated with Eggtoberfest, which I believe is in Tucker and is very close to the BGE headquarters. [p]I'll have some time on Sunday, so I don't mind driving around some if there is a particularly good place to buy meat.[p]I'm also interested in good Atlanta BBQ restaurants. I'm familiar with Fat Matt's, and we will probably go there. Are there any other 'que restaurants that deserve consideration?[p]Thanks!
  • Check out Sam and Daves BBQ1 or the new BBQ2 location.[p]The best brisket I have found in Atlanta and the ribs and pork are excellent.[p]Sam has a competetion team and also teaches a BBQ class one saturday a month that is really good.
    [ul][li]http://www.bbq1.net[/ul]
  • Smoke In The 'Nole,[p]Since this is Atlanta and this and we are talking BGE, I've got to recommend Kevin Rathbun's place ... not exactly a BBQ joint ... but he cooks some truly awesome meat. As you recall, he is the guy that does the BGE videos on the website and in the DVD sold with all of the new eggs. You'll be happy to notice that right there in the middle of his open kitchen is a Big Green Egg for the roasts and BBQ along with 2 massive 1800 degree infrared burners for the steak. Awesome. [p]Not cheap, but more than worth every penny ... [p]http://www.kevinrathbunsteak.com/[p]

• Smoke In The 'Nole,[p]You might want to check out Sawicki's in Decatur for the more obscure/upscale meat (kobe/wagyu beef, kurobuta pork, etc.). It just opened a few months ago, but has excellent stuff. Every time I've been (6 or 7), she's got kobe ribeye, prime tenderloin, and prime ny strip, and if you give her advance notice, you could probably get anything you want. Decatur is very close to Tucker.
    http://www.sawickismeatseafoodandmore.com[p]As an aside, I've been lurking around this board for a couple of years now for the wealth of Egg (and other cooking) knowledge, and I think it is fantastic. To all BGE owners who have not had kurobuta pork chops, do yourself a favor and try to find some as soon as you can. You might not go back to beef (ok, that's not actually true, but the pork is great).