Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meal on the EGG

kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you go about preparing a meal on the egg? For example if you wanted to go from indirect cooking to dirct how do you get the hot plate setter out without breaking it? Or would you just cook all the food the same and adjust the time/temp?
Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    Kim,
    you just need a pair of good oven gloves to remove the plate setter plus a safe place to put it down so it won't burn something.

• RRP,[p]Definately make sure you have something to put the plate setter on that can hold the heat!! I made the mistake a couple of weeks ago of setting on a piece of tile. A few minutes later, it was cracked!!
  • Kim, There are several things you might try. I have two pairs of welder's gloves that give me maximium protection, not only for my hands but my wrists as well. The Big Green Egg people have just come out with a hinged grill that will enable both direct and indirect cooking at the same time. A third way might be to put items on that require a long cook time and then add other items later in the cooking cycle. Experimentation is a great learning tool and it's one that we are all invested in.

• Kim, You can buy two or three firebricks. Put them on edge. They will provide you with protection from burning your deck, etc. The welder's gloves will enable you to remove the platter easily.

• Kim,[p]And lots of times you can do your high temperature direct searing first, then pull the meat and while it is resting, let the temperature come down for the low 'n slow part. That way, you're handling a cool plate setter and drip pan. You only have to be careful not to touch the sides of the egg when you're setting it all in there. I did a tri tip that way the other day, and it's the best thing I've done so far.[p]Have fun.
  • Kim,[p]i don't use the stock ceramic platesetter for precisely this reason: it's really hard to go from indirect to direct, for something like ribs, etc.[p]so, what i do for indirect cooking is use my "poor man's platesetter," which is a 12 inch cast iron lid with handle that sits atop TGV's famous "spider" device. the spider brings the cast iron lid below the firering, and allows for excellent indirect cooking. i line the lid with foil to catch drippings. [p]then, when i want to switch from indirect to direct, all i have to do is use my Stanley Wonderbar (sort of like a short-handled crowbar) to pick up the hot cast iron lid by its looped handle, and set it atop of a metal bucket. i just leave the spider device in the egg. [p]i don't require any gloves, and in fact, my hands don't even get dirty!
  • When I know that I will be going from indirect to direct heat, I use an aluminum covered pizza pan on the grate with my food on the raised grate above it. The bottom of the pan reflects all the direct heat as well as acting as a drip pan.[p]Then it's easy to remove the pan with just tongs for direct cooking. Can also remove the raised grate at the same time.[p]Shelly