Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help making focaccia!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I have had my BGE for about a month now and must say that it is great, I have made some ribs, chicken and salmon. So I finally decided to try my hand at making some focaccia or bread and would really like some advice from some of you veterans.[p]Best Regards,
Cesar

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Cesar H.,[p]I just made some this past weekend. Fresh rosemary in the dough and a nice dust of kosher salt on top.[p]Just follow your favorite recipe for the dough, let it rise about 90 minutes, then punch down, form and bake. I cooked mine at 450 for about 25 minutes.[p]We pulled it hot and dipped in olive oil/Parmesan reggiano/cracked pepper - delicious.
  • Fidel,
    Would you share the basic recipe ?

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,[p] 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
    3/4 cup warm water
    3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    coarse salt to top[p]# Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water (110*), and let sit 10-15 minutes or until bubbly.
    # In a large bowl, combine the flour, tsp of salt, 1 1/2 Tbsp of chopped rosemary, 4 Tbsp oil, yeast mixture and remaining water.
    # Mix thoroughly with hands
    # Transfer to a floured work surface and knead by hand for a few minutes or until smooth (I use a dough hook on a Kitchen Aid mixer for this step)
    # Place in a well oiled bowl (1 Tbsp), cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
    # Punch down dough, forming into an oval or circle.
    # Dimple the top surface with your finger tips, and then brush with final Tbsp oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and remaining rosemary[p]As previously stated, I baked mine at 450 for about 25-27 minutes or until golden.

• Fidel,
    Thannks!! [p]Can you tell me how you cooked these ?? Plate setter ?? Pizza stone ??

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Cesar H.,[p]Focaccia bread is a very simple herb bread to make on your Egg. If you "google" it, you will get over 650K hits with a gazillion recipes. It is very basic bread dough with a couple of your favorite herbs in the dough and maybe a couple more on top of the bread. I like to use fresh herbs in the dough and usually use dried herbs on top of the bread but both will work either way. Some items for you to consider might be fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, basil, to name a few. The dried might be the same as above for the topping along with something like black olives, sun dried tomatoes, cheese, course salt, onions, and hot peppers. Just use your imagination!![p]The bread can be made large or small, thick or thin, or shaped as you want it as there are no rules. [p]I think I have a few pictures with some focaccia bread.[p]15MVC-005E.jpg[p]13MVC-017E.jpg[p]16MVC-016E.jpg[p]3focaccia2Mvc-017e.jpg[p]2focaccia2Mvc-016e.jpg[p]17MVC-004E.jpg[p]Dave[p]
  • Thanks to all who contributed, this is really a great forum. The only problem is that I get really hungry looking at all the pictures. LOL![p]Best Regards,
    Cesar