Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Question

Options
Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made my first batch of beef jerky today. I have never been a big fan of jerky in the past, but man is this stuff good! I loosly followed one of GFW's jerky marinade recipies using a handful of J.D. barrel chips and 200° indirect for about 7 hrs. Not that I see this mess of jerky staying around for a long time, but do i need to refridgerate it to keep it safe.[p]Thanks,
Chipper

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chipper,
    The smoke preserves the meat a tad, but still, refrigerating is a good idea.[p]I vacuum sealed a bunch once that I brought on a backpacking trip (never got over 65 degrees out, and was freezing at night) and nobody got sick. That was a 2 week trip. If elderly folks, or children, or those with weak immune systems will be eating it, definitely refrigerate.[p]Simply an opinion. My immune system gets lots of practice.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Chipper,[p]Properly dried meat would not need to be kept in the fridge. However, it doesn't hurt. My sister makes huge batches on her air dehydrater and freezes them by the bag full. Still, I don't see any harm in leaving it out, when its only going to last a day or two.[p]--sdb
  • PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Options
    Chipper,
    I,ve been doing jerky for a long time on a dehydrator and always store in a ziploc bag on the counter.Also if you feel you overdried your meat take a splash of water on your hand and throw into the bag and reseal.After a little while moister more tender meat.But as you said it won,t last long anyway.