Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chipotles are done

Options
2»

Comments

• Big'un,
    i really hope so. i've only tried one and that was on the pizza. i'm sure there was some smokey flavor in that heat somewhere![p]if you can guess the exact number of peppers i put on the egg, then i'll send you a couple. *grin*

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I would have to guess 92..I even tried counting the dehydrator..no joy..was I at least close?

• Big'un,
    nope... thanks for playing, and please come again

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    You know this would be easier if you moved to Ga. and I could just walk nextdoor to count. Are you coming to Eggfest?

• ChefDave
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Can you tell me what you have planted or what is your favorite
    pepper to plant that will give you a great chipotle.

• Big'un,
    nope, can't make it this year.

• Letts-Do-It,
    those were just plain ole jalapeno plants from the jimmie johnson store

• ChefDave
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    My better half thought that it took a certain jalaeno plant to make a great chipotle. This comes from Wikipedia.org

• Letts-Do-It,
    it's all good... here's the wiki quote:[p]"Varieties[p]Primary varieties
    Most chipotle chiles are produced in the Northern Mexican state of Chihuahua. This variety of chipotle is known as a morita (Spanish for blackberry or black raspberry; literally "little purple one"). This is a description of how the chipotle looks. In central and southern Mexico, chipotle chiles are known as chile meco, chile ahumado, or tipico. Whereas moritas from Chihuahua are purple in color, chile meco is tan/grey in color and has the general appearance of a cigar butt. Almost all of the chipotle chilis found in the United States are of the morita variety. Almost all of the chipotle meco is consumed in Mexico, though some is exported to the United States, where it is generally available only in Mexican grocery stores.[p]Chipotles can be purchased in many different forms. A consumer can now purchase chipotle powder, chipotle pods, chipotle adobo in a can, concentrated chipotle base and wet chipotle meat marinade.[p]
    Other varieties
    In addition to moritas, other varieties of chiles can be smoke-dried, including red jalapeños, serranos, habaneros, New Mexican chiles, Hungarian wax chiles, Santa Fe Grande chiles, and a milder jalapeño called the TAM Mild Jalapeño (a cultivar named for Texas A&M University). Lesser-known varieties of smoked chiles include: Cobán, a piquín chile native to southern Mexico and Guatemala; Pasilla de Oaxaca: a variety of pasilla chile from Oaxaca used in mole negro; Jalapeño chico: jalapeños, smoked while still green; and capones: a rare and quite expensive smoked red jalapeño without seeds. "Capones" translates roughly into "castrated ones.""[p]

[ul][li]chipotle on wiki[/ul]