Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Assistance Needed

Options
fonchik
fonchik Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first brisket today. It is a 7.25# flat.
I am cooking at a dome of 250. Once it reached 165 I pulled it and wrapped in foil with beef stock and put back on the egg.
It never seemed to hit a plateau and quickly hit an internal temp of 200 degrees in less than 4.5 hours.
Once it hit the the 200 degree mark I tried the fork method to test to see if it was done. It seems really tough still so I am letting cook way foiled. [p]I want to confirm that it should be on for 1 or so per pound.[p]Linnea

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fonchik,[p]The cook time seems way short. If it is tough it is not done. [p]Have you double checked your thermometer for accuracy? I trust the probing over temperature, but it is nice to know that you are in the ball park.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    fonchik,
    I am cooking my first Brisket flat using Dr. BBQ's method in his "Big Time" book. The advice is 4-5 hours for a brisket flat to be done... but to go by temp not time. Pull at 200 degrees keep wrapped in foil and let rest.
    ~Pharmeggist

• fonchik,
    I did my 1st brisket last night it was a 8-9lb flat(I'm going to have to start checking the weight closer). I didn't foil it until I took it off at 192 deg, Then I just put some worcestershire on it. I was going to let it go to 195 but I ran out of time. It took about 12 hrs. Had it for lunch it was great.
    100_3639.jpg
    100_3641.jpg

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    fonchik,[p] I agree with thirdeye. That is way short for a brisket the size you stated.[p] Either the meat probe is off or you were in a fat pocket or both. The dome could be off too.
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Linnea - I would just let it go and go until it is soft. If all else fails, pull it out of the egg, throw it in a casserole type pan with some broth and cover it in foil and toss it in the oven for a few hours. nobody will know........