Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Egg Cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took the plunge. I have been trying to cook on the egg for the last 2 weeks, Finally got it together Friday. Cooked for 60 people Saturday. Last thing my wife told me before we went to work was I better be there to get them on in time (1:00 pm)so we would not be rushed Saturday, we had to have the food there by 1:00 Saturday. Well it was a busy day and I made it home at 2:30
100_3592.jpg
Got 4 7-8lb butts and a Brisket from Sams was going to cook everything together.
100_3594.jpg
Preped Butts with Carolina Rump Rub and Brisket with Brad Bryon's Butt Rub
100_3603.jpg
Got egg preped and used Mountain Dew in drip pan, because I had plenty and I'm on a low card diet so it was the liquid of choice.
100_3598.jpg
Got this Tri Rack and thought it was going to be great. 1st Problem was the racks are to close to get the butts between. Finally got them in and thought I was home free even if the brisket was between two butts (what a sandwich). then took the rack to the lg egg and as I got closer to the egg i realized the rack as way to high for indirect cook. (Bad time to figure that out) Took the meat back into the house to regroup.
100_3611.jpg
I was not feeling very smart at this point, what a mess.
100_3605.jpg
Got 3 butts on the large egg. I knew I should have gotten a XL egg.
100_3612.jpg
Had to put the 4th on the gasser.
100_3610.jpg
Wrapped the brisket up to cook Saturday night. (I hate saran wrap)
100_3618.jpg
Had to run to town after more gas for the 4th butt. Worried the whole time I was gone that I would burn them up while I was gone. when I got back 45 min. later it was fine at 300 deg. Got that down real easy
100_3607.jpg
Needed something to settle my nerves and the Mountain Dew was gone
TheEgg006.jpg
This was the 3:30 check grate hole were plugged up (Thanks thirdeye you was right and the coathanger work great.
TheEgg003.jpg
This was at 6:00 am Sat. wrapped in double foil and put in the cooler til 12:00
TheEgg013.jpg
Wife was impressed!!! Pulled as easy as any we have pulled and test taste was out of this world.
TheEgg015.jpg
60 People loved our pulled pork. Best I have ever had.
Thanks to all on forum for the great advice. You can't get that from a manual. I cooked Steak Saturday Night and the brisket was on after that for another all nighter. I'm hooked 3 cooks in 2 days!!!
DB[p][p]

Comments