Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket and I need help fast

Options
Turkey
Turkey Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggers! It's been quite some time since I have posted but once again I need some guidance. I started a 4.5lb flat brisket last night that had a really nice fat cap on it (Got it at Harris Teeter if The Naked Wiz is watching).[p]Anyway, its been on for about 11hrs now at 200° and the internal temp is 140°. What internal temp do I want to cook too? My Polder says well is 170° but I thought I had seen 200° mentioned. I don't want it to be over cooked, I would like a medium well to well.[p]Thanks,[p]Mark

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Turkey,
    Cook to atleast 190*, then wrap in foil and place in a cooler with towels wrapped around it. Let it rest for about 1/2 hr or so then slice it against the grain. Should be nice and tender at that point.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Turkey,
    I cooked a Brisket last weekend..I pulled it off the egg when the internal temp hit 192 degrees..Wrapped it in foil for 1 hour,then I sliced thin it against the grain..It was Great.
    Larry

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Turkey,
    Do a fork test at 185. It will most likely be done between 185 and 200 internal. I am leaning toward it being done at 185-190 with your very slow cook. You still have not even reached the plateau yet. Personally, I would nudge the dome temp up a little closer to 250. IMO, your cook is moving much slower than necessary. That is an awfully long time just to reach 140. [p]BTW, if your brisket is to be tender, it will be well done.
    Hope that helps, and that your cook finishes up well!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Isn't too slow BBQ an oxymoron? Fortunately this is for dinner tonight or anytime I feel like serving it since its for the guys and I as we watch football. After a six pack of beer nobody will know what time it is. Just so long as its done by 5PM. New temp is just over 250° and internal is 158°[p]Thanks,
    Mark

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Turkey,
    Sorry Mark. Some reason I thought this was for lunch! Plus I just have not seen one take that long to get out of the "danger zone" (which is between 40 and 140 when bacteria can grow). I'm sure you'll be fine, but I was mainly suprised at how slowly it is moving for you. Even the 10-pound 24-hour briskets I have cooked have moved past 140 faster than what you experienced.[p]You are in for some good eats. Have a blast with the guys!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Nature Boy, I'm more worried about poultry with this problem than beef. I even do my turkeys (dozens of 'em) at 250 degrees with no problems. Briskets are a little funny, some of them take longer. I wonder if he started off with a cold one too. I do brisket to 200 degrees JUST to make sure it's super tender.