Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, time for you guys to help me again. Last time you coddled me through my first pork shoulder, and it turned out great. This time I might have more of a challenge. I'm smoking a brisket, but it looks like I might have bought the wrong cut/preparation. Most of the fat has been trimmed off. It's got maybe an eighth of an inch of fat on one side.[p]I'm also doing a shoulder (feeding the masses for my fantasy football draft), and I'm thinking I may lay the skin I trimmed off the shoulder on top of the brisket to give it a little extra fat. Any thoughts?

Comments

• jonah,
    Maybe I posted my message wrong and nobody saw it, but please, I need help! Is my brisket hopeless?

• jonah,
    I think what you have is a flat. Like the pork, cook at 250 with the fat down. Depanding on the #, time will very and you need to watch the temps. I have done flats and taken it off at internal temp of 195 and foiled it. They cook faster than the packers. Hope this helps[p]Andres

• Zunibbq,
    At this point anything helps. Thanks. Fat down though? I thought it was supposed to be fat up?

• jonah,
    The thought is that the fat will moisten the brisket as the fat rander off. I like to put the flat on the egg with the fat down to act as a barrier from the heat of the place setter and to keep the brisket from drying out. Like everything, people have a perference on how to cook. Experiment and find what works for you.[p]Andres