Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1 butt + 1 saw + 5 minutes = 10 pieces

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC03512a.jpg
<p />I guess I'm an impulse shopper. I really wanted beef stew in the Dutch oven for tonight, but pork butts were $1/pound today so I got a nice 8# one. So, pork stew it is. [p]That is a big hunk of meat ...... A little handy work and I turned it into country ribs, much more manageable timewise. The whole batch is on the Egg at 225° raised direct. I'm thinking in about 3 or 4 hours some of them will be ready to hit the Dutch oven. I'll finish off the rest of them and vacuum bag them.[p]~thirdeye~
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Vac Seal, really? Taste 'just ok', better, or 'just becuz'?[p]:)
    -Jeeves

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    thirdeye,
    you have a meat cutting band saw at home? WOWSER am I impressed!

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC03524.jpg
    <p />Jeeves,[p]I wouldn't say I vac seal a lot of stuff. I would say I vac seal a hellofalot of stuff. Last time I defrosted my big freezer I moved the vac sealed items into the little freezer in the beer fridge so I could take inventory.[p]They are a cool tool. The bags add a lot of freezer life to uncooked things, and really preserve cooked items. I even portion out soups, stews and broths. They are nice for reheating too.[p]Why let a good fire go to waste?? The theory is, as long as you take the time to fire up your cooker, cook something extra for the freezer.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    9fab3de1.jpg
    <p />RRP,[p]Hey pardner, you better hold the WOWSER. I don't have a band saw. I have a meat saw. Guess what, mine is called a Wyoming Saw and it breaks down and fits into a waist pack. It's a companion to the more famous Wyoming Knife. Here is the newer version with the red handle.[p]Wyomingsaw.jpg[p]In addition to the bone blade, it comes with a wood cutting blade.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Cool tool...where do you get 'em?[p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Jeeves
    Options
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=71&g2_serialNumber=1
    <p />thirdeye,[p]I hear ya... I'm eating much healther now that I have a vac sealer and a BGE. It all started when I returned to Austin with 40 lbs of pizza from St. Louis. Getting a Vac Sealer allows me to cook in bigger portions and save things. I use all sorts of containers as molds.[p]Right now, I've got so much pulled pork, chopped beef, sausage, fatties, brisket... I ending cooking more than I can save, so I have to share it![p]My defrost schedule is planned for this fall or winter. I don't have a second fridge, so I'm going to wait for a 'below freezing' day, which in Austin is rare, so I'll have to break out the coolers, or find a neighbor with some room...
    [ul][li]http://www.txphoto.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=54[/ul]
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Options
    Jeeves,
    Great idea on the mold to freeze before vac seal. Where you get the red mold?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    thirdeye,
    just the same that's a toy I don't have in my toy box so you're still ahead of me! Out of simple curiosity how much effort is it to cut through bone like that? - also does it bruise the meat so you need to cook it right away? and lastly I assume there is bone "saw dust" does that just wash away on a good rinse? Thanks!

• thirdeye
    Options
    JD McGee,[p]They are all over around here. After looking at the Cabelas link I have the Wyoming II, the longer version. Cabelas price is $40. They also have #10 boxes of wood for $9 which may even out the shipping costs.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    [ul][li]Wyo Saw[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    RRP,
    They make meat scrappers to remove the bone dust. The newer ones are plastic and not very expensive. I haven't used one of those in decades. But I was 13 when I did.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    Options
    RRP,[p]I cut down to the bone with a knife and it takes 4 or 5 saw strokes to go through the blade bone. About the same if you are cutting hocks off of a ham too. You get the same amount of bone dust as you see in bulk packs of things, I just scrape it off with a knife rather than washing.[p]Of course they are super handy if you are a hunter but I use mine more for pork steaks (an inch thick or so) or country ribs. Hand saws are not too good for thin slices or for cutting a rack of spare ribs to make your own ribblets.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the link...I'll check it out.[p]JD
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • thirdeye,
    I got me one of them things. Got it for elk hunting about 10 years ago but have used it for firewood, cutting X-mas trees, and pine branches for a snow cave. Very handy.[p]Andres

• Jeeves
    Options
    Letts-Do-It,[p]Look for 'mini meat loaf' silicone..[p]I didn't like the ones at Bed Bath and Beyond..[p]mine is from Amazon, as they had a wider selection (or resellers) to choose from:[p]Check the link below and scroll down to Roshco - the Kitchenaid one seemed too small for me, but it's another solution.
    [ul][li]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-1804414-5786353?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=silicone+loaf+pan&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go[/ul]
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Options
    Jeeves,
    Thanks for the answer. There appears to be a couple of good selections there.