Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Injected Turkey

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife loves Turkey (guess that's why she married me). So this weekend we will be cooking an 11.25 pound Turkey on the Lg BGE. It will be injected with "Turkey Gold" Marinade and their accompanying rub for the out side. Wanted to know what temperature is recommended and approximately how long per pound? Plan on cooking it indirectly on the Plate Setter sitting on a vertical holder. I would sure appreciate some advice.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    here is a detailed description of how i roast a turkey in the egg. ..you could certainly follow my method and still do your injection. ... just use your marinade and rub instead of the herbs. ...and if you need to add liquid to the pan, instead of wine, you could use something neutral like apple juice or turkey broth. .. .

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    mad max: Sheeesh! Great directions. I think with the size of my Turkey I will be able to get it in the egg on the plate setter/Vertical holder without touching the dome. Really appreciate the detailed information, particularly the time and temp info. For our Thanksgiving Turkey I am going to follow your recipe completely
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Did I read "Vertical holder"? Use that only if you prefer dry turkey, otherwise, turkey should never be done vertical, except maybe when deep frying...(IMO) :)[p]-Jeeves
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    I do mine laying down, not verticle, just like in a house oven

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    i have done one turkey vertical i did not use a "holder" i used a big can of fosters australian beer!! it was very good i would do it again.. although i have done several "mad max" turkey's and still think that is the way to go...[p]but for something diffrent try the fosters and do a beer can turkey...[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EggspertMN
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    Hoky Smokes Bullwinkle! Max sure did a GREAT job of documenting his cook.[p]I'm not going to try to even come close to what Max has done here. so, I'll just tell ya what I do, and it is pretty similar.[p]I usually buy fresh turkeys in the 12-14 pound range. a couple of hours before cooking I inject my turkey with Cajun Injector Creole Butter Flavor (my personal favorite) There are a lot of flavors I have tried, and this is the best for me. I use about 12 oz.s to 16 oz's for a 14 lb turkey. be sure to inject through the cavity or neck cavity and not poke too many holes in the skin. [p]I'll fill the cavity with some thyme, onions, a carrot, some fresh sage, and a little salt n peper. then I'll dump what ever is left in the jar of Cajun in jector over the top of the turkey, and add my favorite rub or seasoning. Last time I was in Austin, I picked up some Rudy's Turkey Rub. pretty good.[p]I'll prepare the Egg for Indirect, with a pan on the plate setter, then grill on top of the plate setter. put the turkey on over the pan. BGE should be at 325-350 (once in a while it may sneak to 400, but this crisps the skin) put in a temp probe and cook to 160. If I'm feeling inclined, I'll throw a hunk of apple or cherry wood on for a bit more flavor. take it out and let it rest. The little red thingy may not have popped out by this time, but sometimes it does when resting. Carve it up and you'll find the best turkey around. I like my turkey on the grill, not in a pan so the bottom gets crisp too. But hey, that's me. do what YOU like and make it your own.[p]For Gravy, I do almost exactly what Max has done. Cept, I don't use the liver for the stock. Then I make a roux with flour and some olive oil and butter, medium dark, then add my drippings and stock. [p]So, this is what works well for me, and I can duplicate it over and over. and everyone likes it. One trick on the carving you might like to know. while the turkey is laying on it's back, carve off the whole breast in one piece. do the same with the other side. now you have all the breast meat off the turkey. now, slice them as you would a loaf of bread. each piece will be a uniform thickness (if you cut it that way), and the biggest will be about the size of the palm of your hand. much easier for sandwiches later. and taste great.[p]Make it your own, the way you like. recipes are just suggestions. and don't forget to have fun.[p]Cheers