Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer roast

Pdub
Pdub Posts: 234
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine is going to provide me with couple of deer roast that I am going to try and cook low and slow on the egg this weekend. There from the rump area of the deer. Any body got suggestions as to how to cook these babies. I am thinking the challenge is going to be to keep them from really drying out. How about wrapping them in bacon with a dry rub. Also what temperature should I bring them up to? Should I foil them or just roast em naked.[p]TIA,
Paine

Comments

• Pdub,
    I have always cooked my deer roasts in a crock pot. But I have been thinking of trying it on the egg also. What I think I might do is smoke it low and slow for about one hour, then put it in a dutch oven or crock pot with some liquid and continue cooking it on the egg until done. Let us know what you finally do and how it turns out. Several people have asked for advice on cooking venison lately, but none of them has shared any feedback on their results.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Bonepile,
    for a 10-12# deer "ham", I use 1 cup burgandy, 1 c beef bullion, 1 med onion sliced, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp. salt. marinade the meat in a ziptop bag in the burgondy only for 1 hour in fridge, then add the rest and keep in fridge for 2-4 hours. the longer you keep it in the fridge the more the wine comes out in the taste, i personally dont like a "wino" tasting meat....place some bacon grease or a couple of pieces of bacon on some foil and make a tray, add meat and veggies, wrap in foil for entire smoke, 1hr to 1:15 per pound at 230, smoke it to a doneness like a primerib. Good Luck

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Chris ,
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll let you know how they come out.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Pdub,
    I actually have one on right now...as soon as the wife gets home and can explain to me how to use a digital camera, i will try to post a pic...I cut the "ham" out, 3# piece of meat...trying to get ready for some football tonite...