Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick roast question

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey ya'll,[p]I am in search for a roast that will fall apart after cooking in the dutch oven for 4-6 hours...[p]I just bought a boneless chuck roast, should this be the ticket?[p](I have potatoes, carrots, beef broth and cream of mushroom soup to go in with that roast...)[p]Thanks...
...AnnaG...

Comments

• AnnaG,that and some salt and pepper should do the trick.

• AnnaG
    Options
    Smokey5760,[p]Thanks very much... That is what I needed to know... The egg is getting happy, as we speak...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03418a.jpg
    <p />AnnaG,[p]A boneless chuckie will work fine. I cook on the Egg on a raised grate for some flavor and color first, then go into the dutch oven. This one has a can of diced tomatoes and a can of beef broth for the likker.[p]DSC03421a.jpg[p]This one has a pickled pepperoncini braising liquid. Makes for a really nice dipping sauce.[p]DSC02722a.jpg[p]Happy trails
    ~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Pepper Beef[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    AnnaG,
    You should brown it all over and get broth or broth wine mixture halfway up the side of your chuck.Then do your cook between 300/325 for about four hours.I don't think six hours is necessary to make it fall apart.With veggies I would put them in the dutch oven after one hour-I like my taters,onions,carrots,etc.well done.If you like crunchy add to pot 30/45 minutes before the cook is over.

• AnnaG
    Options
    Darnoc,[p]Uh oh, I have it all in the dutch oven, except for the potatoes, ready to go... I will have to try browning it the next time...[p]Thanks for the response...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Those are purdy!!! [p]I already have it all in the dutch oven, ready to go... I will try cooking the roast first, next time...[p]Gotta go get the potatoes put in, and then we shall see...[p]Thanks for the response...
    ...AnnaG...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Or even browning it first will help.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smoke Diver
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]What is the "best" size cast iron dutch oven for general use?[p]Thanks.[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Smoke Div er,[p]I am pretty sure that mine is a 7 quart... I want to say that the bottom of it, has the number 10. Not sure how that equates out to 7 quarts... It just does fit in the lg BEG with the cover on, have to allow for the handle...[p]I have done roast and beef stew in the dutch oven... The beef stew, is by far, my favorite thing that I have cooked on the egg...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Here is a pic of the roast on... [p]roast_on.jpg[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    AnnaG,
    Sorry for the late post.But in the future when you do a pot roast let it get up to 210 degrees and then let it cook for another hour.That extra hour is when THE MAGIC happens.Things start to fall apart.

• AnnaG
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]I am excited about this one... It looks like it has broken down...[p]roast_off.jpg[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Next time you get a chuck roast or two, check out the "Clay's Pulled Beef" recipe on the main site. Wonderful stuff.[p]- Ed