Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken: Crispy skin?

Options
neweggerart
neweggerart Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever achieve a crispy skin with this method? Doing one later today and was hoping for some advise. Although the chickens have been great, would love to do something about the rubbery skin. Thanks

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    neweggerart,
    Did two last night @ 350 raised grid direct. Pretty crispy but I have seen others post to dust it with corn starch for a crispier skin.

• 041_1.jpg
    <p />neweggerart,
    remember back in the 60's when mom would make roast chicken in the oven and the skin was really crisp, but the meat was dry as the mohave?[p]just bump up the temp for the last part of the cook, or change the setup to direct and watch it closely

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    woo2chickenplatesetter.jpg
    <p />neweggerart, I do them skin side down for 5-10 minutes to get the sking going, then flip over and finish. The whole cook is raised grid about 375, sometimes indirect or reflip near the end depending on how the bird looks. Total time is time 60-75 minute. I go mid-160s internal white and dark meat...[p]You can see where I broke the skin between teh white and dark on the flip. I just grab the legs. Season under the skin, entering at the thick part of the breast. Take your time and you can get you fingers into the leg section. [p]Good luck, T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • neweggerart
    Options
    tjv,[p]Thanks for the advise...will give it my all...someone mentioned dusting with corn starch. Have you ever had luck with that. The one time I tried it, It was not very good.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    neweggerart, It needs to be a a light dusting. If you have lumps or heavy spots, then it will not be good. I

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rusty Rooster,
    i agree that patting the skin dry then dusting with corn starch will do the job[p]ken