Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket (very) Flat

Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saturday I'm going to try brisket for the first time. I picked up a fresh brisket flat that is very flat. Maybe 1.5 inches in a couple of spots, 3/4 in others. Is this typical? I'm assuming that I will still have to go 10 hours. It came with the fat cap removed. I'm going to take try the tip from "newsense" and lay some bacon on the top in lieu of the cap. Any other tips, advice, lessons?[p]Kevin

Comments

• Rex
    Rex Posts: 16
    Kevin D,
    Seems like you could also use beef fat from the grocery store on top of the brisket. I haven't used it this way, but have gotten it free or very cheap to grind with deer meat, to make burger. I also bought my first brisket to try and it is trimmed more than I hear is good, so I'll try one or the other on top. Good luck with yours.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Kevin D,
    I`ve yet to try a brisket..but for the last month or so have been checking my normal shopping spots and have yet to even find one...but I`m ready to try one...thanks for posting the question as I`m green on brisket technique..and can use the advise and tips from others[p]Wess

• WessB,
    Jeez Wess!! I can't believe you haven't done a brisket. Guess what? Neither have I! I've been collecting a lot of the post info for the last month or so, and I think it will boil down to just following Nature Boy's method...if all else is wrong---copycat success!!
    If you've got a Sam's or Costco in your neck of the woods, they should have some there. I'm just waiting to find the right window of 24-36 hours for prep and cook to do mine...life doesn't seem to get any simpler, eh?
    Big Murth
    p.s. Thanks for your positive response to my "Thanksgiving" post. Have a good weekend!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big Murth,
    Was at Costco last night looking for one...none to be found..but I aint givin up the search..and as you stated I`m sure I would follow NB`s advice anyway..he seems to have more eggsperience than anyone else with the infamous "chunk of chest"...and your welcome for the response..we are going to have a peaceful..enjoyable..and honorable weekend on the semi..closed Potomac river very near to the Pentagon..and we will tip a few for those who have given us what we have and what we will continue to have...God Bless[p]Wess

• Kevin D,[p]The bacon is probably a good idea, one that thin will be pretty easy to dry out. Watch your temps (both cooker & meat) closely & pull it at ~185*[p]Kevin