Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Solution

Options
smokinsop
smokinsop Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About 10 percent of the posts on this forum seem to be about gasket problems. RRP supplied me with a new Rutland gasket a couple of days ago. I installed it at 3pm yesterday, let it sit an hour and seared a steak at 650 dome. No problems. The gasket even came with adhesive already on it. To solve your gasket problems contact RRP on this forum.

Comments

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    smokinsop,[p]hey, i just ordered the same "peel and stick" rutland gasket from RRP. [p]sounds like it's doing well, huh? does it seal the egg nicely so that no smoke is seeping out? was your egg leaking smoke before the fix?[p]how easy/difficult was it to install? is it literally just peeling off a section at a time, and pressing it down on the rim? [p]should you bunch it up and then press it down, the way most people install a traditional rutland gasket?
  • smokinsop
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Just peel and stick down. No bunching like the old rutland. I used a wallpaper seam roller to make sure it was tight. I did wrap a ratchet strap around the egg for pressure to make sure. I really don't think that was needed. You will be happy

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    smokinsop,[p]cool. sounds simple enough, even for me![p]hey, how'd you get the old cruddy gasket off? did you use that 3M paint stripper wheel on a drill, or did you do it the old-fasioned way with a putty knife and elbow grease?
  • smokinsop
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Used the putty knife first then the stripper wheel. I had an old rutland on mine that had been frozen a couple of times. Midwest winters..The whole operation took about 30-40 minutes

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    smokinsop,[p]ok great. question though, why did your replace your old rutland gasket? i thought those things were indestructable!
  • smokinsop
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    I lit it and forgot it last winter. Grease on gskt, very high heat stuck it together, pried it open with a putty knife and gskt came up in 1 place about 6 inches long..My stupidity mainly tore it..