Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another reason for owning more than one BGE

Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a Boston Butt in Humpty last night about 6:30. I was bring the temp up to 230 very slowly so I had the bottom vent open a bit more than I would have had a little on. Than my wonderfull wife said let's go for a walk. When I got back the dome was at 300 and the mestique was bright red across the firebox. No way could a get the lump out to cool things down!!!! [p]The solution was to start up my second medium egg. Pulled Pork for lunch as planned. Go out and get another egg just for back-up.
Fireball

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Fireball,[p]If you are going to go over your intended dome temp with any cook - it would be the boston butt (pulled pork) that can take the extra temps without much harm. I know what you mean about getting it back down after a run-a-way dome temp, I have tried many things and the only one that works every time is: TIME. If it's something like a butt, you can close up the vents more than normal and just wait until the dome temp drops back down. This is assuming you don't go over 250 deg and hit 600 deg for 30 minutes - it will take quite some TIME for that to drop back to 250. [p]If there is a trick, it's to never completely close the bottom vent or the fire will go out and you will never know since you're waiting for the dome temp to drop anyway. When it reaches the desired temp and you open the bottom vent - nothing but more drop in temp occurs. [p]The second Egg is a good backup. Enjoy that pork![p]Tim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Tim M:[p]Next time add more lump to the firebox, set the vents for your preferred dome temperature, place the butt (or other meat) on the grill. The addition of fuel knocks the fire back. Although the dome may read higher than you like, it is radiant heat from the warm cooker. Not a hot fire from below. The addition of cold meat will balance things out before the fire starts to recover. Just think of situations where the temperature gets out of control as preheating!
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    djm5x9,[p]That works but it's a real pain if not 1000% nessesary - IMHO. Adding lump requires the food to get out since it stirs up ash and adds a lot of smoke for awhile. If you're filled up for a long cook, already, you often won't have enough room to add much more.[p]Tim