Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mojo

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had the recipe for the Cubano marinade called mojo, but misplaced it. It's got garlic and sour orange, etc. Don't remember everything in it. Could someone please help me?[p]Also, came across a brand of charcoal that I kind of like called Natura Choice. Found in a Mexican market called King Ranch. Some of the bags are stamped Arizona charcoal and some not stamped, but all are identified as product of Mexico. Average size lump is two to four inches. Burns clean and lasts a long time. At least comparable to Cowboy. Best part is $3.00 for a 7# bag.[p]Sincerely, ern

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    ern,
    this is the one i use

[ul][li]lechon asado[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    ern,
    Here's one.
    Bob
    MOJITO MARINADE
    For years I carted cases of this citrus-flavored Cuban marinade back from Miami, til we started making
    it in the restaurant. The real thing is all tarted up with the juice of bitter oranges — nearly
    impossible to find. So we add a touch of lime juice to freshly squeezed orange juice to give it the
    right kick. It's one of the most versatile pantry ingredients you can make. Use it as a marinade for
    pork and chicken, pour it over cooked veggies or potatoes, or toss it with salad greens.
    1/4 cup chopped garlic
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups fresh orange juice
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup olive oil
    4 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro[p]Mix together the garlic, onions, orange juice, and lime juice in a bowl. Heat the olive oil in
    a large saucepan til just smoking. Now cover up your arms and put some potholder mitts on your
    hands because you're about to do something that is contrary to good cooking practice but produces
    great flavor release. Slide the contents of the bowl into the hot oil — be very careful because
    the liquid will splatter. Simmer for 5 minutes to soften the onions and garlic. Season the marinade
    with the rest of the ingredients. Pour everything into a blender or food processor and pulse 3 times
    to combine. Pour into a plastic container and cool to room temperature; then cover and refrigerate.
    Mojito Marinade keeps for up to 2 weeks.[p]Makes 2 1/2 cups.
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
    May 2001
    John Stage and Nancy Radke
    Ten Speed Press[p]This is your personal place to write notes about the recipes, such as substitutions or modifications.
    Only you will be able to print, view, and edit your notes. Add a note >[p]rate this recipe
    94% would make
    this recipe again
    clburnett1121 from Bellevue, WA on 03/01/07
    Pulsing the hot marinade in a blender is prone to disaster. Either let it cool before blending or
    drape the blender with a towel to contain the mess. Pulsing the hot liquid causes the air in the
    blender to expand violently and push off the lid, allowing the hot liquid to erupt out. Not an
    issue for the food processor since it does not seal as tightly.
    print review with recipe
    kschmitty0 from Boston on 02/05/07
    This is one of those marinades that I emailed to my foody friends the day after I made it.
    Quick and flavorful- a keeper. I served it over couscous and it came out beautifully.
    print review with recipe
    aerehead from Encinitas, CA on 08/31/06
    I used this marinade on pork tenderloin, marinated overnight, then pan seared and finished off in
    the oven. Used for a taco bar for my son's party. Was good - not great. Pork was better the second
    day after absorbing more of of the marinade juices once it had been sliced up. Still, would make
    again for the same purpose as it really tenderized the meat well.
    print review with recipe

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    ern,
    Goya makes one that can be found in most grocery stores.