Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lunchtime Grouper

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all. Just wanted to report on a simple lunch I had today that was awesome. I was enjoying lunch 30 minutes from the time I pulled the small grouper filet out of the fridge. I dusted it with Prudhommes Seafood Magic (as I had it on hand and was real hungry). Drizzled peaunut oil on both sides, and went out to fire up junior. Broke up a few pieces of the killer New Braunfels Mexican Dense-as-a-black-hole charcoal, lit my firestarter and went back inside to work for 15 minutes. Came out to a good hot fire, removed grid and sprayed with Pam, and threw on the filet. Carefully flipped after 2 minutes, and went 4 minutes on side 2. Onto the plate went the nicely browned grouper, and a little pour of the Flik Thai Tamarind Hot Sauce that Jobu sent me.[p]Warning..cooking flaky fish on directly on the grill takes practice and patience. Works best to go shorter on side 1, and longer on side 2, so that the fish is not near flaking before the first flip. I also use my fingers to help support.[p]I know it is kind of early, but the Yuengling Black and Tan tastes really nice after this meal.
Hope everyone is having a great week.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]life is so good, my friend.
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    char buddy,
    Life is good. Where is Gfw anyway. Gordon we miss you and all your pics. Life is BGE Green.
    Fireball

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm SOOO envious! Your lunch just dances rings around my room temperature soggy leftover slice of pizza I noshed at my desk WHILE I WORKED. Phooey. Enjoy...and Love That Yuengling! [p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Kind of late getting in to check what's up...but just wanted you to know, that as I was reading your Lunch Post, I wasn't sure if I was getting hungry...or getting filled up, after all that great detail on your cook. You must drive your neighbors nuts!
    Best to you NB,
    Big Murth in Nuevo

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I think that Grouper is one of my favorite fish to eat. Its a blast to catch also, kind of like dragging up a log from the bottom of the ocean. We were out fishing for snapper one afternoon this summer and I hooked into a 31 pound grouper, MAN that was fun. We cooked it in the oven (marina will not allow grills on the docks for obviuos reasons) but a big fillet of broiled grouper is hard to beat fresh out of the ocean.[p]Thanks for the heads up on the Paul Prudholms Seafood Magic, I love the Vegetable Magic but have never tried any others of his except his blackening seasoning. I LOVE that stuff and use his recipe out of one of his cookbooks to make it in large batches. Great on cooked burgers.[p]Oh well, off topic here and long, sorry. Thanks for the hint and glad that the fish came out well.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    Looks on topic to me! I would love to have fresh caught fish coming in like you do. I was really lucky to find this Grouper so fresh. Do you happen to have a recipe for the Seafood Magic or something similar?? I would like to make up my own seafood rub.....that magic stuff aint cheap![p]Speaking of hauling a log off the bottom, I caught a HUGE snapping turtle why up in the Upper Peninsula. When I saw his fat face pop up above the surface of the water, I decided to just let him have my lure! If I were more brave, we mighta had some turtle soup! Man he looked nasty.....okay, now I am off topic.[p]Great weekend to ya!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Dont have a recipe for the seafood magic that I can think of. I'll check the recipe book at home, heck, it has his blackening seasoning, it may have something close to the seafood magic also. I'll let you know.[p]Ever had turtle soup? My uncle used to make it, never tried it but he used to love it. Grilled turtle? Bet it tastes like chicken.[p]Troy
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    sprinter,[p]While this is not seafood magic, it is a clone to the poultry magic by Chef Paul. Try the link below for the TSRecipes site version. It is a close clone, but I feel is still not the real thing. It is a good starting point, but will need some tweaking to get the taste of the original. I added a 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper and a 1/4 teaspoon of hot paprika that worked out pretty good![p]Zip [p]
    [ul][li]Click Here[/ul]