Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wasbi Ribs

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Saturday, I made a nice rack of Spare Ribs. They cooked almost perfectly. I cooked the ribs rolled and direct at 250-275 for four and a half hours over Maple. The meat was moist and very tender. Oh, I was in heaven with only one exception. The rub that I used was hot, very hot. Someone had given me a small bag of rub and I figured that now was as good as any to try it. I did know all that was in the rub but it did smell good.[p]Let me tell you that these ribs were hot. It took me a while to figure out where the heat was coming from and what that distinct flavor was. It was Wasbi. The flavor was not bad it, but either the amount of Wasbi should be far less or I should have used less rub. I dunno.[p]By the way, at the market on Saturday I picked up some Miso and Mirin. What the heck do I do with them now?[p]Happy Smoking,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    RhumAndJerk,
    Whoa, you really dosed yourself with some heat, thanks to that "rub". If I'm not mistaken, you were using wasabe or wasabi powder, that is usually mixed with a little water &/or soy sauce that makes into a little paste, in Japanese restaurants, for dipping your sushi and sashimi into. Very potent stuff, as this will clear your sinuses in the proverbial NY minute (or seconds).
    Good stuff to have around if you need to cure your hayfever symptoms, or you need an endorphin blast!
    Happy Cooking!! Big Murth

• RhumAndJerk
    Big Murth,
    Yes that is the stuff. My spelling is just bad today. The flavor was great on the ribs, but the amount of Wasabi would have to be toned down. The heat was not immediate, but boy did it build. It is worth a try.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    I have some Wasabi powder (or is that waaaaassaaaaabii??) and have been wondering how it would be in a rub. I am inspired! What other flavors did you detect in the rub?? Was it green?[p]Seems like it would be really good with beef....as it is Japanese horseradish I believe.
    Thanks for the idears!
    You never know what rests just beyond the next bend.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    I am at a real loss as to what was in the rub. It was definitely unique in smell, but it looked the same as any other red BBQ rub. I had no reason to think that I would be too hot. I definitely suggest trying Wasabi in small amounts in a rub.
    I see a Wasabi Brisket in your future.[p]Beers,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Wasabi Chunk-o-chest. I can see it now.
    I am kind of suprised it was so hot for you. Seems like anytime I have added cayenne, chipotle or other heat to my rubs, the long cook mellows it out, and I always wish I added more. Wasabi must be heat-tolerant! Another speriment comin up!!
    Thanks again....BTW, still trying to work out details for Eggtoberfest. 50/50 chance I will be soloing it.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    RhumAndJerk, Congratulations! You are 2/3 of the way home. Combine equal parts of miso, mirin and sake (you can use sherry, but sake is better if you have it). Bag up some chicken parts in this for a marinade, and after an hour or two you will be in hog (coyote? fox?) heaven. Shake the excess marinade off before you grill the chicken, and if the mood is right use the excess for basting. After that, use the miso/mirin/sake base as a "launch platform," by adding garlic, powdered ginger, five spice, or (dare I say it) wasabi. Incidentally, if anybody has a recipe for that wasabi rub, I'd love to have a copy.
  • Nature Boy
    BlueSmoke,
    That sounds awesome. I have been wondering what to do with all of the rest of the package of Miso that I still have. I cook chicken parts a couple times a week, and this sounds like cake.[p]Thank you kind sir. Launch platforms are just what I need!
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    That Miso made a nice soup last night. I had to do a quick soup so I finely chopped some garlic, ginger, shallots, onions and veggies and stir fried them a single sliced chicken breast and some Thai Curry paste. To the wok I added coconut milk and chicken broth. After the soup was ready, I stirred in about a teaspoon of Miso. Apparently, you should not cook Miso. This was served over some Somen noodles. The kids loved it.[p]From what I read yesterday, Miso soup should be simply the broth and only two other ingredients like spinach, seaweed, some sort of dried salted fish called Bonito, noodles, tofu or mushrooms. It is definitely a quick lunch with the noodles.[p]Have fun,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    BlueSmoke,
    That sounds like a good way to go to me. Miso seems to be a strong and unique flavor. I also like platform type stuff. This should be fun.[p]I am sorry, I do not have a recipe for the Wasabi Rub. It was something that I was given.[p]As a side note, I found this recipe as I was poking around the internet[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Miso Glazed Sea Bass[/ul]