Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger needs Smoked Salmon Recipe

Options
Daddio
Daddio Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone, first of all I want to say how much I enjoy your site. I followed it for about 6 months reading all the posts and absorbing everything I could about the BGE and to convince myself that it was as good as everyone says it is. I went to a dealer one Saturday and they were cooking chicken breasts. After the cook it was time to taste test. My eight and eleven year old were with me and I want to say that after they had their first bite I knew I had to own one. They told me that this was the best chicken they have ever tasted. It hurt but I had to agree with them it was moist and flavorful with only basic seasoning added. Anyway, I now am the proud owner of a BGE and have been for the last month and a half. I have cooked whole chickens, chicken pieces, ribeyes, and my last endeavor was two boston butts for pulled pork. I want to say that everything was awesome. I have been in Ketchikan, Alaska the last couple of weeks and have brought home some silver (Coho) salmon that I caught and would like to know if you eggsperts have any superior smoked salmon recipes. I know that I have seen a couple of posts and pictures of smoked salmon although did not get the recipe. If any of you could help me I would surely appreciate it. My kids named the BGE "Eggbert". Eggbert is just waiting to be heated up again since I've been gone for a couple of weeks. Sorry for such a long post although I am very excited and pleased to be the proud owner of a BGE and am now able to truely enjoy BBQ'd food the way it was intended. Well I think I will go clean Eggbert out and maybe after that pour myself a homebrew that I kegged just before I left for Alaska. [p]Cheers
Daddio

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Daddio:[p]If you decide to grill some, try marinating in a 50/50 mix of Yoshidas and Jack Daniel's for a couple of hours. Grill at about 325º/350º.
  • Just-RuthandJim
    Options
    Daddio, Welcome to egging from a relatively newcommer too. I have been having good luck with the smoked salmon reciept in Steven Raichlen's book "How to Grill". It calls for a 15 minute soak of skinned filets in a cup of rum followed by four hours in a brine of 1/2 cup Kosher salt, 1 cup of brown sugar (or honey, or maple syrup on mixture)and 1 tablespoon of black pepper. He states one must time the brine time closely or the result will be too salty. (I have found that when the salmon is warm it tastes saltier than when it is cold....the reciept suggests serving cold or at room temperature) The reciept calls for a two hour indirect smoke at 225 degrees using alder chips. This results in a very good smoked salmon but the result is quite moist. Next time I am going to try smoking for a longer time to get a dryer fish. Good luck....your results should be better than mine since I have been using farm raised salmon from Cosco)

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Bourbon%20Dejon%20Salmon.jpg
    <p />Daddio,
    Try the recipe link below it's my family's favorite. I've also done it numerous times for company and have allways gotten great complements. I usually use Alder wood for smoke flavor.
    B D

[ul][li]Dejon Bourbon Salmon by Gretl[/ul]
  • Daddio
    Daddio Posts: 20
    Options
    Just-RuthandJim, Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it today. How much water would you use for the brine? Can't wait to try it....[p]cheers
    Daddio

• Just-RuthandJim
    Options
    Daddio,Sorry about slowness of response....the reciept does not call for any water. This is a dry brine that takes some of the moisture out of the salmon.