Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First beef stew on egg - temp question

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I brought the egg up to just under 300 and placed my dutch oven on there. Hopefully, you will see the picture below:[p]beef_stew_b4.jpg[p]The temperature went down to 200 after putting the dutch oven on and has remained there for 45 minutes. Should I poke around in the lump, adjust the vents or just trust that the egg will come back up to temp?[p]Thanks in advance...
...AnnaG...

Comments

• AnnaG
    Options
    Never mind... I had to do something pretty quick or I will be here all night. Decided to adjust the vents and it is now up to almost 300... [p]The hickory chips are smelling good, so I hope it retains some of that flavor...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    AnnaG,
    Yeah, open'er up some and when your around 325 start closin up to stabilize back at 300. Oh, your stew looks good.

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    AnnaG,
    Just leave the top off the DO and you will get the smokey flavor you are looking for. The egg will keep the stew plenty moist or add a little water if needed.

• AnnaG
    Options
    Thanks ClayQ,[p]I finally adjusted the vents and all is working now...[p]I hope it tastes as good as it smells... Got some hickory chips working in there. Buried some and put some on top, I hope it works out... Have a couple of more hours to go...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AnnaG
    Options
    TheGrillisGone,[p]Thanks much... I left the top off, so hopefully it will have that hickory smoke flavor... [p]I just stirred it and it is looking pretty good, if I do say so myself...[p]I might just luck up on this one...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]If it all works out - please post the recipe! It looks really good so far!

• AnnaG
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]I am assuming & hoping that this works out...
    Even if it doesn't, here is the recipe:[p]My GrandMother was a member of the Daughters of the Revolution (DAR). Therefore, this is a recipe from that cookbook. I remember my Mother making this and loving and craving it, to this day... [p]She finally gave me the recipe yesterday:
    D.A.R. Beef Stew recipe:[p]2 lbs of stew meat or round steak cut up
    1 can of English Peas - do not drain
    onions - if desired
    2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
    carrots - I used a whole bag of baby carrots
    potatoes - I cut up about 1.5 lbs of white creamer new potatoes
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    Put all together in dutch oven, do not brown meat ahead of time - just put in dutch oven...
    Cook @ 250-275 for 5-6 hours[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...