Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone score there butt before cooking?
Similiar to a Ham with cross section cuts.[p]Wonder if it will get more smoke if I did that.[p]Tom

Comments

• Tom,
    I always score the fat cap, but never the meat.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tom, IMHO, scoring may add to deeper penetrations of rubs and seasonings. Try it and see in regards to the smoke.
    C~W

• Tom
    one feral kat,[p]Well I wasnt going to do it real deep. I dont know just sounded like a good idea. [p]I try to trim the fat off the bottom of the butt the best I can. [p]What does resting it in foil after its done do? I havent ever done that. I usually pull it right away.[p]Tom
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    one feral kat,
    Doing a 7 lb. butt tonight. Shouldn't I leave the fat on that one side, and do you cook up or down?
    Thanks Kat!
    Big Murth

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tom, do that, pull right away..foil it only if you have to hold temps for a trip or guests arrival..if that baby is due, deliver it. Have buns, sauce, beans, side stuff ready for the operation..heeeeyaaaa.
    :-)
    C~W[p]

• Tom
    Big Murth,[p]I trim what I can and put the fat side down. I figure it i put the fat side up it would wash away my rub as it runs down the side. Who knows though.[p]Tom

• Big Murth, fat cap up or down has been debated several times here. Personally I only score it before rubbing and then always position so the cap is on top. IMHO the cooking process is to render the fat, which gives the flavor to a butt so running down the sides is all part of the process. Besides by the time it gets to the plateau tempature for the rendering the 'bark" is aleardy pretty much down and isn't going to wash off easily anyway.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    one feral kat,
    Thanks! Don't want to get too fancy here, but has anyone put any liquid, i.e., vinegar..in the drip pan while cooking? Would that ruin/enhance flavors?
    Thanks again.......Big Murth
    p.s. I didn't score the fat, and the Butt's in the frig enjoying it's rubdown, as I write. Will it hurt to score it this evening before the cook starts?

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Tom,
    I do mine fat side up. That way you kind of baste the meat. I use a mustard slather first and then the rub and have never had a problem with the rub running off.
    JimW

• Tom
    JimW,[p]Do you trim the fat any?[p]Tom
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Tom,
    No. The bottoms of the ones I get generally have no fat. The tops (the rounded side) have a fair amount but not at all excessive.
    JimW