Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bison rump roast

Options
Nancy
Nancy Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was gifted a bison rump roast. Anyone have any experience with that cut of meat? it weighs 4#. I've never cooked a rump roast, bison or beef!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    nancy,[p]I've cooked bison rump roast once or twice. Unfortunately. not on the Egg. My general experience with various bison cuts both on and off the Egg is that its a little harder to cook than similar cuts of beef because there is so little fat, and when there is gristle, it is really tough. So its hard to cook it much beyond medium rare and not have it dry out. [p]Most recently, I cubed some bison chuck, working around the huge slabs of gristle in it. I then marinated it overnight with what would have been an Italian vinagarette, but heavier on the oil. Skewered it and cooked quickly at 350. I'd suppose that would also work with the rump.[p]I'd guess that the whole rump could also be done with a quick exterior sear, and then a fairly brief roasting to no more than 135 internal. Slice it thin.[p]The flavor of almost all the bison I've had is sweet, and rather mild, so I've usually gone with light spices, or sweet sauces. [p]If you ever get a chance at some bison steaks, go for it. T-Rex'ed strip steaks are pure delight.[p]gdenby[p]
  • Nancy
    Nancy Posts: 24
    Options
    gdenby,
    I was looking around and wondering about cooking the bison rump roast in a dutch oven. I'm thinking that it needs a braise to be tender. Ideas?

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    nancy,
    Here are some thoughts posted when I asked the same question. I haven't had a chance to cook mine yet though. [p]Let us know how it turns out. [p]http://www.greeneggers.com/archives//2007/messages/381308.htm

[ul][li]Buffalo[/ul]