Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!Need 'small' rib setup--

Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gettin' ready to put a couple hunks of St.Lewie's on my son's small and realized I don't have the room to set up for indirect like I do on my BigGE.I have cut down firebrick and a cutdown pizza stone,have an also 'cut down' metal rib rack got from Wally world, how can I set up indirect using these things or any other ideas.Thanks for help. Bob

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Bamabob,
    This is an easy one.[p]Roll the ribs and hold them together with bamboo skewers. You then stand up the rib roll on the grill directly. The indirect is achieved from the heat radiating off of the dome walls.[p]You can fit two whole racks of ribs on a small with this method.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk, good one, as usual..:-) C~W

• Bamabob,
    I ordered a extra grill from BGE, but before that I took three flat metal skewers, and cut them to fit across the top of the fire chamber, spread out evenly. then I put the fire ring on top of them and then the grill. the skewers would hold my little drip pan or little tile I have. [p]
    Dylan

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    RhumAndJerk,
    Had some of your rolled ribs cooked on a mini at Eggtoberfest 2000......yum..yum
    Larry

• Chipper
    Chipper Posts: 35
    RhumAndJerk,
    A couple of weeks ago I did some pork spares on my small using this method. They turned out great. I thought that they would be drier than the ones that were cooked on the large using the 3/1.5/1 method. They did get done sooner, so I wrapped them in foil and towels and put them in a cooler. They were great. You will need to turn them every once in a while to keep the edges from burning. [p]Chipper

• Bamabob
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks,I'll have to get some longer ribs next time, the ones I'm cooking came in a package about six inches long,if I rolled them it would look like a hot dog on end:-)HOWEVER if I had thought it through I would have pinned the short pieces together and made a roll(DRAT!!)Us brain dead folks are hard to help!BTW how do you figure your cooking time when they're rolled and direct in the small?I was planning the 3/1/1.5.The setup I'm using right now(before I got your's and others post)is : 2 firebrick flat,8"square alum. pan on bricks,grill on pan and rib rack on grill,trying to stay at about 250° but temp trying to creep. Still ain't used to close quarters cookin! thanks everyone. Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    Bamabob,
    Well this is just a thought, but try this. Skewer the ribs together like a club sandwich. Leave about a half-inch or more of clearance between them. Then stand them up. The cooking time should be about four hours at 250.[p]Waddayatink?
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• getImage.pl?imgID=4955787&trans=
    <p />Bamabob,
    Picture Test

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    testin, whoooooooooooeeeeeeee.
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Bamabob...lets have some more of this one..Great job! Make a new post as it will be a incentive to others..Thanks.
    C~W
    BTW...its one of the best ways to use tile...:-)

• Bamabob
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks C~W for your kind words,however my son was trying to 'learn' me how to post a picher' using the clubphoto site.I might never get another one to work,but hope I can.The small table was just 36" long and 24" wide.However now that you've come up with your latest invention,I've gotta change the hole setup in tables to accomidate the hinge and spring on back of EGG.(SIGH!!!) Just when I had my table stuff sorta all figgered out:-) Bob

• Bamabob
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks for another good idea,I'll sure give it a try.I think that one of my first jobs is going to be extending hinges so top can open wider,my hands are too big to get in such a small opening,otherwise the smallie cooks fine. Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    Bamabob,
    How did the ribs turn out?
    RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    Bamabob, There might still be a way..and not have to mar the finished job you have there..What is the backside measurement from the hinge to the table edge?
    Dang that sure is purty..
    C~W
    (jump down and read the post I made to Cornfed in that thread)[p]

• Bamabob
    RhumAndJerk,
    They turned out GREAT! I cut the last 1 1/2 hour short by about 30 min. was afraid they would overcook,but should have let them go full time,they could have dried out a little more.Still on the learning curve.Thanks for help. Bob

• Bamabob
    Char-Woody,
    The measurement on the small table is about 5" from hinge to edge,the large tables are abouit 2" from hinge to table edge.Thats using standard 12" tile,I can backset hole about an inch before hitting side board.Saw your post to Cornfed ,things sound real interesting,who say 'de wheel can't be improved on':-) Bob

• Char-Woody
    Bamabob, your right about the wheel..with the talent that floats on this forum, I am sure there will be some super ideas that will develop..Thats the idea in itself. :-) I don't think you have to do anything with the tables when you use the cable and a offset pulley on the backside to the spring location. Makes no difference. Use a padded angle piece to fit on the edge with a pulley bracket welded to it, and run the cable back, then down, then under the table to your spring tension set, and your tensioner.
    Adjust the tension from a horizontal plane from the front.
    It should also be a easy do.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]