Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for some Sourdough!! (Large Post)

Options
2»

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thanks, Larry. It's a beautiful part of the world!!

• egret
    Options
    Puj,
    Thanks for that. I'm a believer.........now that I found this great starter!!

• egret
    Options
    Thanks, Scott. It tastes great, too!!

• egret
    Options
    Thanks, Leroy. That brick oven sounds great.........maybe even better than the BGE at baking, huh?!

• egret
    Options
    Thanks, Gwen. I got the SD recipe from the man that gave it to me and it was scanned from his magazine. It's not a real good copy and parts of it are missing as some of the columns got cut off. I'll find out the issue date of this publication from him. I looked around the Cook's Illustrated site and didn't see any way to order back issues. I'll let you know. Also, if I find out how to prepare and mail this starter, I'll send you some.

• egret
    Options
    Hey, Evans,
    Yes, I heard that about the small. Somebody forgot to tell my small BGE that, however, because with the extended GrateMates and the 12" stone, it bakes bread as good as anything you ever saw!!
    Which state line are we talking about here, Evans? :-).....
    See you in 8 days, buddy!! Travel safe!

• egret
    Options
    Fidel,
    Thanks for that. These BGE's are some kind of "brick ovens"......

• egret
    Options
    Thanks, Clay. This bread really is special! I'm still envious of the great baking you have done on yours.......Good enough to win the "grand prize" in a photo contest!!

• egret
    Options
    BYC,
    No special reason for the plate setter being wrapped. I did that before we went to Waldorf to keep the black residue from getting on the floorboard. I just left it on.
    The pic is in No. GA, 1 mile south of the NC border.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    egret,[p]Thanks---I have property in Otto. I thought it looked like the God's country that we Southern mountain folks were blessed with

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    egret,
    Thanks, I would love that (Both the issue date and the starter.)

Where are you getting your recipes for regular sandwich type bread? I have a bread machine but it does best with store-bought mixes esp for a machine. I'd rather use my own ingredients than a mix, tho.[p]Have you tried the NY Times No Knead Bread? I'll post the recipe in a separate post. I've been meaning to do that anyway, before this discussion came up.[p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I'll be looking forward to those pics. I plan to build (have built) one of those too. I'm still trying to decide how best to configure my haphazard (definitely NOT feng shui) back deck to accomodate a fireplace and a built in for our large egg and a small which I'll purchase when we get the design all squared away.[p]I saw the play BLWIT in Vegas once back in the '80s and it was one of the best plays I've ever seen.[p]Gwen[p]

• KS Cheryl
    KS Cheryl Posts: 71
    Options
    egret,
    Here are directions for sourdough starter care and how to share. [p]http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/OTbrochure.html[p]So if this works maybe you can share starter with interested eggheads (like me). Bread looks great. I'm baking bread right now. Cheryl

• Dimple's Mom
    Options

Is there any reason it couldn't be mailed 'wet'? I don't see why it couldn't be put in something like a plastic sour cream container either with holes punched in it or not, and mailed out overnight or two day. I would be more than happy to pay for overnight shipping for something like this.[p]Gwen

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    egret,
    Wow.... I think that is just about as close as your going to get to heaven on earth. Becca and I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife at the waldorf eggfest. I just got interested in sour dough starter the other day. A gluten free sour dough starter I think is going to add another level of complexity. That bread look awsome. [p]Paine