Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Big Murth -smoked salmon

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is the brine receipe that I used for smoked salmon.
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c sea salt
1 qt. water
1 tbls.( heaping) finely minced garlic
1/4 tbls. black peppercorns
1 dried bayleaf
mix until dissolved
brine in zip lock bag for two hrs. in ref.
air dry in ref. for 2-3 hrs.
smoke indirect w/drip pan & water first 2 hrs @125 7 more hrs @150
This is for a little over 2lbs. your times may very according to amount. Hope this helps---sorry for the delay.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim H.,
    Thanks Tim. I am going to do this today with the rest of that whole coho that I have.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Nature Boy,
    Let us know immediately how it was! Sounds great.
    G.

• Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    I will let you know. I wonder if I can brine this in that mixture overnight?? Will probably smoke the fish tomorrow. I just reserved Mr. Big for babybacks today!![p]Beer!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Nature Boy,
    Just a guess, but I'd brine it for just a few hours and let it dry overnight in the fridge. That's what I'm planning on doing, anyway.
    G.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]I would recommend NOT brining the fish overnight. The fish is much more delicate than beef or pork and it really absorbs the salt a LOT. I made the mistake of brining a snapper fillet overnight and it was very salty. A couple or three hours is all most fish needs in a brine solution, more than that and it is too salty, IMHO.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    Thanks yall! Great weekend to yuins.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Nature Boy,[p]Also, let us know how you keep the temp down that low. Like someone else said, on a warm day with the sun shining on the Egg it reads about 100 before the dome is opened to light the fire.[p]Hope you find a way because it does sound gooooddd![p]Jethro
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Jethro,[p]Here's the way I do it, there are others as well.[p]I start the fire with just a little bit of lump in the bottom of the fire chamber. I let a small fist size fire get going, then I fill the fire chamber up with lump once its going. Also, I REALLY damper down the bottom and top vents, essentially smothering the fire but not extinguishing it. This keeps the fire temp low (150-170) and gives a good amount of smoke as well. Then, after a couple of hours I let the temp slowly rise to the 200-225 degree mark (it actually does this by itself as things in the egg start to heat up naturally). Also, in that I'm cookign indirect, I put the firebrick setup in the egg and put the fish in as soon as I put on the new coals. This causes enough mass in the egg that the temp. is held low until it has a chance to warm up and the fish is absorbing all of the smoke at a real low temperature.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    sprinter,[p]It does - thanks alot. This info along with that posted last week (if my memory is working in tact - low probability) about smoke being absorbed only until the meat hits a temp of about 140 is really useful.[p]This will be useful on my next butt as well.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro