Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Help Please!!!!

Options
Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started an 8.71 lb pork butt at 6:30 PM tonight. I want it to be ready at about 12 noon to 1 PM tomorrow. After 2 hrs the internal temp is already 113 F. Is this OK? [p]My setup is plate setter legs up, drip pan on plate setter, butt on grill.[p]Dome temp of egg when I put the butt on was about 250 F. Now it is about 230 F.[p]AM I cooking it too fast?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Jason.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Jason,
    If you plan on getting any sleep, get that temp up to 250. At 230 it will go out on you.
    IMHO this is going to be a 12-14 hour cook.
    Cold meat is going to lower the temp.[p]Mike

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Jason,
    Relax, you are doing fine. Keep an eye on that dome temp and try for 250, but don't chase it too much, a little adjustment at a time. You should be ready to take it off sometime between 9 and 11 tomorrow. -RP

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    Jason,
    Boston Butt is a very forgiving piece of meat. If it finishes a little early just wrap in foil, towel and put it into a warm cooler until you are ready for it.[p]Enjoy it

• Jason
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]The meat temp is already 128 F after about 3 hrs. Does that sound normal? [p]Jason[p]

• Charles in SC
    Charles in SC Posts: 142
    Options
    Jason,
    Have you checked your thermometer lately? If you have a way to check the temp at grate level it would be good. The meat can sometimes block the heat from the dome gage so it does not read right. Be sure the temp probe is not touching the meat, that can change things a lot.
    Good luck!

• Charles in SC
    Charles in SC Posts: 142
    Options
    Jason, one more thing, in May I always turn the egg so the handle is pointed north. ;)

• Unknown
    Options
    Jason,
    You are going to be stuck in the 160s for a long time, relax. -RP

• Jason
    Options
    AZRO,[p]Thanks Man! That is what I was wondering - if it was going to plateu or not. This is my first one and I want it to be right?[p]Thanks again![p]Jason
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Jason,
    You are doing great. It will hit a temp where it just stays there. Don't worry, it is normal.[p]Mike

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Jason ,
    Shoot, I can't even type my handle right, you sure you want advise from me? -RP

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Jason,[p]Actually, seems to be cooking fast but not to worry. Assuming you started out at 57 degrees butt temp and should be moving up an average of 10 degrees an hour with dome at 250 you should be in the low 100 plus degree range. But then every cut of butt is different. At this point if you have dome at 250 and all probes are set right then you've done all you can do. Just seems to be moving a bit fast to me...worst case it is done before your desired time and you pull and cooler rest. You'll be fine but maybe pulling early...my .02