Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined ? Smoked Salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally made my decision and added a medium to go with the large egg. Thanks to all who assested me with your advice. So now, whats to cook? I think that the first cook on the medium will be to slow smoke a nice Salmon filet. The question is to brine or not;and if so, what kind of seasoning should go in the brine? Also how long should I brine? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Tim H.,[p]Never brined a salmon before but have brined other fish before cooking them. If the fish is not fresh (i.e. been frozen for over a couple of weeks) I like to brine it in some salt and spices for an hour or so to hopefully knock out the built up fish flavor that accumulates on fish in the freezer. Spices are really up to your tastes, the salt mixture that I use is typically 1/2 to 3/4 cup of salt to a gallon of water, not as heavy a salt brine as I use for meats but the fish is a lot lighter also.[p]Hope this helps, let us know how it comes out of you do brine it. What is your plan for smoking it, times/temps/spices?[p]Troy