Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butts happen, but turbo fatties too???

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,915
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think we've all experienced a turbo butt that finishes in record time, but tonight I've had a fatty on for just one hour at 250 and the internal is already 141. When prepping it I did slice it open in quarters though and inserted strips of hot pepper cheese so I'm wondering if the probe is in a vein of hot melted cheese. Guess I better plan to check with ye' ole Thermapen, but I'm far off the mark of 3 hours to get to 170!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,915
    Options
    guess I'm just talking to myself here, but that fatty is now up to 155 internal at 1 hr 25 minutes and the Thermapen has confirmed the temp in 4 spots. Oh well...

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    RRP,[p]One thing you have to remember when you stuff something like a fatty is that you are adding moisture...and that conducts heat....[p]So it is possible that it will be done faster...[p]I do my fatties and quarter them and add peppers...and they do get done a lot faster...
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    101_0422.jpg
    <p />RRP,
    mine cook fast then also mine usually take about 2 hrs.
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Unknown
    Options
    BENTE,
    That looks delicious. Is that sausage like what you made earlier this year when I was there? This site makes me hungry, thanks a lot !

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Michael L. Wise,
    yep

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb