Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger slow-cook?

Options
jer
jer Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every burger recipe I've seen and used all start with "heat the Egg to 650/700 degrees" which I'm now trying to avoid until my gasket is more "conditioned"...[p]Any tips? Is there a good way to make great burgers down in the 350 range?[p]-jer

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    jer,
    yea just throw some wood on there, whichever you like i use cherry. when "Breaking In" the egg just remember how you used to cook on your old grill. i never cook my burgers above the 500 mark. i do that because i NEVER eat a burger that is not at least medium well unless i am grinding my own meat.
    HTH
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Unknown
    Options
    jer,
    Here's a recent discussion about cookin' Burgers on da "Egg".

[ul][li]clicky here[/ul]
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    jer,
    Certainly you can do a burger low and slow. You can also do a great burger indirect. Put in drip pan, get heat to 250 dome and let it go. This is also a good way to get more hickory smoke into the meat. Just check for your desired doness and you have a great burger. Actually, a better burger. No reason to sear the outside. [p]Chef Jerry
    Proven method

• jer
    jer Posts: 43
    Options
    B,[p]Excellent! I did the 325-350F for 15 minutes a side and "Wow!" that was a *tasty* burger. I think I like the slow cook method better than the 700F quick-singe (though for parties, the quick-singe is certainly hard to beat for fast meat! [p]When I add some wood chips into the mix, it will be fantabulous! :)[p]-jer
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    jer,
    When my kids have friends over I grill the burgers.
    I use a fire grate for a large Weber kettle under the fire ring.
    Light the charcoal in a chimney and dump it on the fire grate.
    Put the BGE cooking grate back in and grill away.
    This method doesn't quite get me the flavor of a slow smoked burger, but the kids don't seem to mind.