Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

K~G's Smoky Loin Chops

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I visited Costco this morning, and filled a shopping cart up with meat. I vac-sealed and froze a whole bunch of stuff, and left out a slab of babybacks to cook for dinner (currently rubbed in a paste inspired by Cat's, but using lemongrass instead of Juniper berries).[p]For lunch, I took a nice lean loin chop (1.5 inches thick), and rubbed it with the sample of Porkrubbers rub that I have. KennyG mentioned his technique of smoking the chops until nearly done, then finishing off with a quick sear. So I got a small fire going in Junior, and threw in a couple cherry chunks (that wood that Zip thinks smells funky), and smoked that bugger (at maybe 275, starting off at 200) until the polder said 140. Removed to a plate, and quickly brought junior to searing temps. Then I seared each side for about 2 minutes.[p]These were good. The smoke flavor definitely penetrated nicely, the meat was pretty tender (for a very lean loin chop anyway), and the rub was also very good. I think I will do this again, though I do prefer a slightly fattier chop! Sliced thin it was very tender.[p]Thanks for a winner of an idea Ken.
Burp.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]When vac sealing with your FoodSaver how do you over come the juice factor: the vaccum sucking in the juices? I've had to pre-freeze my stuff first then put vaccum seal them air tight.[p]CC
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    With regular meat the juices are not really an issue. With marinades, I hit the manual seal button as the juice migrates toward the machine. My Foodsaver is the "Ultra", which is one of the models with the manual seal button.[p]Does yours have the manual seal?
    Great weekend to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I have the Ultra also. I purchased two containers: one flat, 3qt. I believe, for marinating; and a 6 qt. for salads. If you're a last minute planner, marinating only takes minutes versus many hours. The salad was green and quite fresh after 12 days. If you're interested in containers buy them from Wells Can Online or call them at 604-420-0959. Their prices were half the cost that FoodSaver would charge.[p]I'll try your idea with the manual button.[p]Thanks,[p]CC