Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

simple veggie cook

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, no pics, because I didn't expect it to be "post-worthy".
After three nights of steaks, we needed a little variation in the diet. In the grocerystore, I grabbed a bunch of nice fat asparagus and just a big pair of portabello mushroom caps and headed home.[p]Brushed a little garlic olive oil on the gill-side of the caps, did them face down on the small over medium heat. The asparagus got the same oil treatment, and went on at the same time. When the asparagus had been rolled once or twice, and the caps had a couple grill marks, I flipped the caps gill-up, drizzled a little olive oil with balsamic vinegar on them, and spooned around a tablespoon or so of olive tapenade on each. Then, sliced some buffalo mozzarella and placed the slices all over the caps as well. I let it go maybe 5 more minutes, til the cheese melted and threatened to brown. ...the dome wasn't too hot, since I didn't let the egg go too long before putting the food on. Maybe next time I'd preheat longer, looking to get some radiant heat in order to brown the melted mozz. A little k-salt and coarse pepper to finish them, when they came off together with the asparagus.[p]It was a 15 minute cook, and the flavors of the tapenade with the mushroom worked really well together. I highly recommend it. The asparagus, roasted direct, was as simple as could be. No sauce or anything, not even butter. Just salt and pepper.[p]...the funny thing is that in trying to get away from steak-after-steak-after-steak, I ended up getting portabellos, which are decidedly steak-like. At least my cholesterol got a break.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante