Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gassy vs. Egg

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our family went to our friend's family's house for dinner last night. They have an $850 gas grill that is very nice. He had a bunch of pork loin chops to cook, so I told him I usually sear them hot, and then dwell for a bit. We tried the same technique. The grill was pretty hot and they seared up fairly nicely (not quite as quickly as humpty). Then we moved them so they weren't over the flame, brushed some finishing sauce on, and let them go a few more minutes on low.[p]Now it is more clear than ever that the egg's results are far superior. The chops were not tough, but they weren't juicy either. Not sure what it is about the egg that works magic on simple short cooks like that. I wonder if it the higher searing temps, or the fact that the dwell time is in a moist environment???[p]All I can say for sure, is that even with good technique, ol gassy has a pretty tough time measuring up.[p]Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy, yep, I got a thousand dollar Holland Stainless Steel sitting next to my egg, and I only use it for overflow crowds, and then just for chicken thighs and such. Cooking on it is great, and it does a good job with thick steaks, but it doesn't hold moisture, only removes it. Sometimes cooking on the egg I have noticed water dripping from the lower vent due to condensation. Naturally the bottom has not filled with water, but the condensation running down the inside surface drips out there. Of course, we usually have high humidity here too. Today, I have the smell of burning coals around my hours.. Oh happy day. My dog and cat are very eggsited too..

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    King-O-Coals, The moral of the story is like "sitting in a F-16, hitting the end of the runway at 200 knots, pointing her up towards the sun, hitting the afterburners, and breaking the sound barrier going straight up!"[p]Folks just don't realize the difference till they munch down on the super sonic taste like you and NB described.[p]:-)[p]C~W[p]