Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wokkin on the Egg

Palisin
Palisin Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I tried my hand a with a Wok on the egg. I made a boneless pork loin last night with a ginger garlic soy rub. After cooking I was prepared to cook fried rice.
2 cups cooked rice
3 cloves of garlic
Crushed red pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Ginger
1 shallot
1/2 cup Vidalia onion
3 Carrots
1/2 Red bell pepper
1 1/2 cup cut green beans
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
2 eggs
Chop and Mix garlic, Crushed red pepper, Ginger, and shallot. Place in 2 tbsp peanut oil in hot Wok when oil begins to smoke. Saute. Add vidalia onion, carrots, bell pepper, stir til covered. Add green beans. saute add rice saute add cilantro, and 2 cup soy sauce, and sesame oil. saute add eggs saute til cooked.[p]
EAT![p]

Comments

• Palisin,
    I've had a wok for a couple of months now and I have to say, I think we (you and I et al) have the best of all the worlds!
    Have you ever tried squid? I've got a KILLER recipt for them if you have a hankerin'
    Haven't done any fried rice yet but your recipt looks tempting.[p]Carey

• Palisin,
    Tried my new wok on Sunday, making Pepper Steak, and it was great! Thanks for posting the recipe, we will try it too.

• Palisin,
    By the way. The instruction part says to use 2 cups of soy sauce. Is that a typo. Your ingredients call for a 1/2 cup
    Thanks

• Palisin
    Daddy,
    Sorry that should be 1/2 cup i was furiously cutting and pasting when I had a free moment @ work.

• Sundow,
    Love squid, where can I get the recipe?
    My Belly thanks you in advance!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Palisn,
    I am a huge fan of squidlies, but have not yet tried wokking them.
    Here is a link to a tasty recipe that is pretty quick and simple. The key with squid is high temps and a quick cook.[p]Nice to have some other fans of those delicate little multi-armed critters.[p]Cheers!
    NB

[ul][li]Turbo Temp Squid[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Palisn,[p]My recipe for squid is as follows and by the way is a family favorite. You can also substitute the squid with crickets, worms, crabs, shrimp, crawfish, ect......[p]Buy the freshest squid you can find and cut into one inch pieces. Place in cup or bag in cooler. Drive to lake, river, or ocean with fishing equipment. Put squid on hook and cast into water. Hold rod until you feel the tug, then pull back really, really hard. Reel in fish...take fish off hook.....place fish in cooler. Repeat above until you have enough fish. Go home with fish and fillet them. Coat fillets generously with your favorite seasoning (Cajun for me) and cook in egg at 450º about three minutes a side or until done.[p]I hope this helps :)![p]Zip
  • Palisin
    Zip,
    I did that one in april for 3 days with a slight variation
    I was 50 miles off Tampa came home with Snappers, grouper, shark and grunts

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Palisin,
    Sounds yummy.
    There was an article in Cooks Illustrated about fried rice an issue or two ago. They were talking about what type of rice to use. They found that whatever rice you do use, it should be made a day in advance. This allowed the rice to dry properly to not clump when making fried rice.[p]Happy Wokking,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    That is a good article on fried rice. I make a batch every couple of weeks, and they mention a lot of the things I have learned over time. I make my rice a day or 2 before hand also, and I use less water than normal. Up to 1/3 less. Even then, it is still too wet, and I lay it out on a cookie sheet the day of the cook and let it air for a few hours, crumbling some of the bigger chunks with my fingers.[p]Still have problems with sticking (I guess my wok needs more seasoning), but it is good stuff. Just about any leftover Q goes great in it too.[p]Happy wokking back atcha.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Palisin
    RhumAndJerk,
    I didn't have any problems with clumping. I took the rice right off the stove. I use a variety of rice I get @ the oriental grocery store. It is a variety of jasmine. I have also used basmati. It is the least sticky. I use one cup of rice per cup of water salt and cook for 20-25 minutes and after the water is mostly gone remove from the heat and let sit while chopin veggies works for me. I used to use a rice cooker when I lived in Nihon. They make perfect rice every time.

• RhumAndJerk
    Palisin,
    Do you normally use a one to one ration water to rice? I have always used two water to one rice ratio. However Jasmine Rice clumps badly on me by that method. I normally use basmati and it comes out well.
    I bring the water and rice to a boil and then cover at a low heat from 15 minutes and let it rest from 10 more with the heat off. [p]I have never used a rice cooker, but I am considering one.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Palisin
    RhumAndJerk,
    Sorry I am working btween posts and mistyped AGAIN! Should be 2 to 1. I also use an electric stove that is not precise so I am fiddlin with it a lot. make sure it is covered and remove from heat as soon as you see the water disappate.

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    We have been cooking our asian rice (jasmine-type also) with 2/3 ratio for years and years. 2 cups rice and 3 cups water. We also use a rice cooker....once you shell out a few bucks and get one, you will wonder how you did without it.[p]For fried rice though, I have knocked it down to a 1/1 ratio, and it works a lot better.[p]Now go get ya one of dem rice cookers soon.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Nature Boy,
    I have been using a rice cooker for about 27 years (now with Jasmine). You are right it is the best way to cook rice. Fireball

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]If you can believe it although we have rice at almost every meal Luc does not use a rice cooker. I am thinking about getting her one. You have a brand/size preference?

• Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    We have had a Rival rice cooker since we got married 12 years ago. Still works like a champ. Not up to date on what is out there, but go simple. Two buttons...cook and warm is all you need. I have used the warm button maybe 3 times in 12 years when the missuz was late coming home from work. You don't need any extra gadgets. Ours can cook 6 cups of rice (the size of the pot looks like maybe 2 quarts). More than large enough. The pan is like an anodized aliminum, and cleans up very easily.[p]Stay simple, and not too big, and you will make the right choice.
    BTW, after 12 years of daily rice, I am getting a bit tired of it.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Cool explanation on rice cooker. I do have a question though; I often add many things to rice. How does the rice cooker do on other than just plain white rice?
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Don't know! White rice is a staple food for the wiffy. Nothing else will do, and she gets withdrawals after one day without it. Have not tried anything else in there. Though I do have an interest in other rices. Would be nice to have a change of pace once in a while! Keep me posted if you come up with any idears![p]beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Palisin
    Nature Boy,
    When I had mine I used it just like a pan adding spices and broth to the mix! cleans up fine.